1989 60 hp evinrude top cyl not there

atsmaboat

Cadet
I have a 1989 60 hp evi that is running o.k except for the top cyl. will not keep running unless I hit the primer button on remote control. I have had the carb off 2X & done everything I could think of and this last time I actually took off the lead ball (last resort) on top of carb bcuz it had been squashed into the opening compared to the other 2 carbs. I basically had to pry, piece, etc. it out of the opening so it's no longer useable. My ? is what actually does that lil ol lead ball do in there?... and can I get one for cheap somewhere...like out of one of my shotgun shells or ???... please help. Thnx.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 60 hp evinrude top cyl not there

It acts as a seal for the drill channel. If you have the size shot that will fit, go ahead and use it, it has worked for me in the past.

nwcove

Admiral

you should be able to get the "lead shot" as a brp part #. have a look on marineengine.com for your model. ( its a plug for a passageway in the fuel delivery system.....important lil part tho!)

atsmaboat

Cadet

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post, but not to be too ignorant why is that port/hole even there in the top of the carb if it has to be plugged by a lead shot? What I'm wondering is, when I go to replace this lead shot is it supposed to be able to spin, move, float, etc or was it o.k. that someone previously had just sort of smashed it down in there? Could that lead shot have actually been just fine and is not related to my top cyl not running w/out priming? As Ted Williams once said, "if you don't think too good, don't think too much"...I think that might apply to me & outboards! Thnx again for any help.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The lead shot was not related to your problem and was fine the way it was. It is supposed to be smashed in there and immovable.
The passages are there for access to be able to machine other passages in the cast carb body when it is being made.

atsmaboat

Cadet

Thanks tx1961 -- now I get it, interesting that the service manual says to remove it in carb rebuild section...that I don't get...but thanks again.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I've seen that before in a service manual, but they do not supply the replacement in a carb kit. The welch plugs are designed to be removed and they supply those in the kit.