2000 Evinrude 15HP 4 stroke runs great for 10 minutes, then dies.

AlumCanuck

Cadet
The issue:

Motor starts great, runs great, has plenty of power, but only for about 10 minutes. At this point is begins to missfire, then starts to struggle and will bog down. The motor will still idle perfectly, but bogs down when you start to apply throttle. Applying the choke has no effect when this happens. Staying at WOT will make the motor stall. If you push the motor until it stalls it will take a few minutes before it will start again.

This problem is very consistent and happens every single time at about the same point. Basically once the motor gets to operating temperature it conks out.

What has been done to the motor:

Previous owner included it with a boat I purchased basically for free because he was tired of trying to fix it. He had it in a shop several times and they were not able to correct the problem. He said they had replaced the coil.

When I first got the motor I suspected it was running hot, so I replaced the water pump and thermostat. Found some zebra mussels in the cooling system upstream of the thermostat. I think I got them all out and there appears to be more water running through this motor now. Also repaired an issue with the accelerator pump in the carb, though this is unrelated to this problem.

Today I put on a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb to so I could check for vapour lock when it died. I also used a different fuel tank and line that I know to be fully functional. As usual, the motor started to missfire and quite after about 10 minutes. It had plenty of fuel pressure and no sign of vapour lock.

I have done a ton of reading and am no closer to finding the problem. Getting frustrated....I'd like to confirm it is a problem with the electrical system, but I don't think I can perform this test once the motor quits before it magically comes back to life again.

Anyone had this issue with this motor? Any ideas? What should I do next?

Help?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Evinrude 15HP 4 stroke runs great for 10 minutes, then dies.

Have you checked the spark when it quits ?? Should jump a 3/8" open air gap on a spark tester.

AlumCanuck

Cadet

When it quits and won't start it is only down for 2-3 minutes, then will start again. Not sure I could perform this test in that amount of time? It will only quit while under load, so I have to be on the water.

If you think I can do this in 2-3 minutes on the water I will go invest in a spark tester.

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

motor needs 3 things to run gas,spark,air,

sounds as if you ruled out gas and air is a given only leaves one thing spark. sounds like the motor is coming up to operating temp and looses spark .

AlumCanuck

Cadet

motor needs 3 things to run gas,spark,air,

sounds as if you ruled out gas and air is a given only leaves one thing spark. sounds like the motor is coming up to operating temp and looses spark .

I agree. I suppose what I need help with is figuring out how to determine which part of the electrical system is bad. I'm not a marine mechanic and am trying my best here.

How do I determine if the issue is part A, B or C?

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the main parts to your ignition system are the coils and the cdi .

since it has 2 coils 1 for each each cylinder i would rule them out since it sounds like its dropping both cylinders.

cdi ignitions will do goofy things including stop working when they get hot

pukindog51

Cadet

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the power pack.
It's pretty easy to replace with 2 plugs and 2 screws.
There is a window hole that needs to be facing the front of the motor to remove and install the power pack.
You can see it from below (with motor cover off) rotate by when you slowly pull the rope.
Power pack is over 200 dollars.
PS: the other electrical part of the system is the stator which I just recently had to replace because it was very weak spark.
Mine is a 2001 and I hate it

Last edited:

AlumCanuck

Cadet

Thanks to everyone that gave advice. I have a plan that may allow me to replicate the problem in my driveway. I'll report back if it works.

Power pack / ignition module sounds like the culprit.

I hate this motor too and plan on selling it.

AlumCanuck

Cadet

Got a new ignition module for $300. Installed in about 5 minutes and went for a test run. No luck and no change. I have now wasted $300.

Seriously thinking of just selling this motor for parts and calling it quits.

I could bring it to a shop and have them diagnose the problem. Though I don't have much faith in most shops.

ARG!

AlumCanuck

Cadet

Forgot to add that the motor now will completely die after 10 minutes. Previously it would miss-fire and degrade, then quite. Now it shuts right off. It will restart after a couple of minutes, but will only run for a few seconds before dieing again. It starts easily, idles great, then will die.

Question - I know this motor has a thermal switch that cuts off the electrical when it reaches a certain temperature to avoid damaging the motor in an overheating situation. Where is this switch and how does it work?

Initially I thought the motor was running hot, but figured I fixed that issue with a new water pump and thermostat. Maybe I have a partial blockage which is causing the motor to run hot, then it hits the thermal-switch and shuts off the electrical????

That is all I can think of. I'm totally out of ideas.

chuckoneup

Recruit
was wondering if you ever figured out this issue as i got a 1998 that is doing the same thing runs for 10 min then it will start to sputter and then quite any help would be greatly appreciated

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Chuck - Start a new thread. Look at the Help Tips on top of the page.