1975 70 hp Johnson no spark

Hi All,

Just curious if anyone can troubleshoot a "no spark" problem. I was out on the water yesterday when my main motor gave out on me half way through the day. It ran like a champ turned it off to start the kicker....finished trolling and tried to restart the main motor only to find out it would not kick over.

I have checked the kill switch to make sure it's a go...still there plugged in tight.

Pulled the cover off tried the manual carb switch....no go.

The fly wheel is spinning. Pulled and checked all three plugs for fouling and spark. NO SPARK!

Can anyone here give any suggestions?

Model : 70 esl 75 e

Thanks

Re: 1975 70 hp Johnson no spark

Just disconnected the yellow and black wire from the power pack (as suggested in prev forum) still didn't fire.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Lots of things to check, hard to list them all. Go to the CDI website and look up your engine, use their troubleshooting guide to help find your problem.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

you can do a simple test light test connect a globe to one wire coming out of the stator at a time to a 12v battery & earth the other end to the stator , if the globe lights up the stator is cooked \ replace

you can do a simple test light test connect a globe to one wire coming out of the stator at a time to a 12v battery & earth the other end to the stator , if the globe lights up the stator is cooked \

Thanks I'll try to figure out how to test from the stator.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As Daviet suggested go to the CDI Electronics.com website and look up the test procedures. They have good ones.