Closed cooling dry leg or not?

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm shopping around for a closed cooling system for my 2001 6.2 Mercruiser. My question is should I convert my non dry leg exhaust manifold to the newer dry leg system first? I hear it's suppose to be so much safer at not getting water ingestion.

Also, is there any good aftermarket closed cooling systems or should I get Mercury's stock system?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Closed cooling dry leg or not?

First of all, it's not recommended to convert a salt water engine to a close cooled engine if it is over a year old, or has 125 hours (whichever comes first)
If you convert an MPI engine to closed cooling, you will also need to change the ECM to handle the higher engine temps found with the closed cooling system.
I assume when you say dry leg you are referring to "Dry Joint". You can do that if you want. It's also an expensive conversion.
I would stick with the OEM kit with an MPI engine.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes dry joint, mine is non dry joint. I hear horror stories and feel like something terrible will happen if I don't change over. Never in salt, maybe I should keep it stock.

Don S

I see no reason for you to go to a closed cooling system. If the gasket surfaces are in good shape on the manifolds and risers, they are fine too.

Sounds like you have a worry problem, but not engine problems.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see no reason for you to go to a closed cooling system. If the gasket surfaces are in good shape on the manifolds and risers, they are fine too.

Sounds like you have a worry problem, but not engine problems.

Thanks, I'd rather not change anything if I'm safe and I'll take that constructively. So those guys talking like, "if you don't change over to the newer style manifold eventually your engine will be destroyed" are full of BS.

Don S

So those guys talking like, "if you don't change over to the newer style manifold eventually your engine will be destroyed" are full of BS.

I take it "those guys" also sell the parts ???????

Yes, they are full of it. Even if they did start leaking at the gasket surface, pulling the riser and checking things out before it becomes a real problem is all that is needed.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take it "those guys" also sell the parts ???????

Yes, they are full of it. Even if they did start leaking at the gasket surface, pulling the riser and checking things out before it becomes a real problem is all that is needed.

Thanks Don, you saved me a pile of money. Just like with the Doc it's always best to get a second opinion, and the best opinions are always found here. At least that's always been my experience.