Possibly buying a 120 Sugar Sand, noob questions.

brotu123

Recruit
I have been looking around for an older Sugar Sand, just missed a beautiful Tango with the 175 but have now found a very clean 1998 Mirage. I can't seem to find much info on the boat, what kind of speeds could I expect out of it? What are problem areas/ things I should look for when I go to check this thing out? I have read that these engines do not like ethanol gas sitting in them for any amount of time, this particular one has been sitting for over a year. Any tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Possibly buying a 120 Sugar Sand, noob questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmflymWOIY

Hi . I have one , 1996.

Loook as for any kind of boat.

On this look in to whater intake of jet pump. Use a flashlight and light up and look on impeller and wear ring. So they are fine.

Take it to a lake and run it. Se so all works fine.

Look on seats so they not cracked .

Change gas filter and clean the one on fuelpump. Look on spark plugs. Put a wrech on flywheel nut and turn it over for hand . Feel so it?s good comp. on all 4 cylinders,

Mine do around 40 mph. Max.

Regards from Sweden

emoney

Commander
Re: Possibly buying a 120 Sugar Sand, noob questions.

Anders covered it mainly. Do NOT start these SportJets out of water. If the seller offers to, you've got a problem unless he's done a mod down at the bottom of the block. No, older 2stroke likes to sit because new gas can chew fuel lines, dirty carbs, etc.

On the water, make sure it gets on plane normally, shifts into both gears correctly and steers without being stiff. Cables had a tendency to go bad due to lack of maintenance. Good luck and keep us posted.