FM Radio Reception

realjet

Cadet
I'll be looking for a new head unit for my pontoon. I would like to get one with a good FM tuner. Is there anyway of telling which units may be better in pulling in FM signals?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: FM Radio Reception

I'll be looking for a new head unit for my pontoon. I would like to get one with a good FM tuner. Is there anyway of telling which units may be better in pulling in FM signals?

Ayuh,.... Pullin' in stations is a function of the Antenna, not so much the receiver...

realjet

Cadet

I thought I had a good antenna: Shakespeare 4350. Can anyone recommend a better one?

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i use a standard motorola antenna male plug with 16 guage trigger wire soldered to only the center pin,and either attach it to a windshield screw or gunnel molding screw/rivet with a ring terminal. we did that at grew where i worked n it works great for FM...not so much for AM. In my `73 glastron the windshiel is nut n bolted on, so i "oval`d" the ring terminal and forced it on the threads...works great but it is a 6 year old sony deck. i have found pioneer decks have had the best tuners a while back...and ummm YES not ALL tuners are equal. but now adays, most aftermarket decks are about features n not their tuners. my 4 year old clarion with a crappy roof mount euro amplified antenna ( stock n found to be crappy at best...i install car audio for a living) tunes wayyyyy better than the newer alpine deck in the company van with a fender mount mast antenna (found to be the best in my experience) older stuff has better tuners than the newer stuff

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Although an antenna has a big role to play regarding reception, "sensitivity" of the tuner section of a head unit is the major factor in both AM and FM reception. "Selectability" used to be the major factor with the old dial type AM/FM sets but with digital tuners these days that's not much an issue. Select 100.9 FM and you get 100.9.