Will a trailer advertised for a 21' boat fit my 22'?

OHfishing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trailer shopping , will a 21' boat trailer fit my 22'? I have a sylvan offshore 22' which is basically a starcraft islander , I want to get a nicer trailer but Im not sure which one will fit.... anyone have any input?

I found this > DUAL AXLE 4,000 lb total capacity boat trailer. Will hold a 21' boat. Center rollers and 4 bunks. No brakes, has good tires and pulls very well. Side bunk guides for easy loading.

5E75F85J93E83Gc3Hec7vf70f85185cba15d5.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will a trailer advertised for a 21' boat fit my 22'?

How do you feel wearing shoes one size too small ???
Personally I would prefer to buy a trailer that was a little bigger than what I needed not smaller.
Just my thoughts though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if only there was a small portable device for measuring things longer than your forearm.... some sort of ruler that is extendable..... like a tape measure.

in all seriousness. it may fit by adjusting the bow stop. you would have to measure. just make sure its not "just a hair short"

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you measure for a boat and trailer fit? How far should the stern of the boat hang over a trailer or should the trailer be out past the stern? I am asking since I am in the market for a replacement trailer for my 19ft. Silverline.
I see some on craigslist for fairly cheap, sometimes a crap boat comes with them. If there is an 18ft boat on one, could I adjust it to fit my 19ft?

mds47588

Cadet

Would it be possible to borrow the trailer and actually see if you're boat will go on the trailer safely/properly?? Yes, it could be a PITA with the multiple on/offloads at the ramp...but it's the only way to actually answer your question accurately (that I know of) If it works, then buy it!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

As long as the transom is fully supported by the bunks it should be fine.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Could very well be that the previous boat that was used on it was too short for it also.

Just a thought.

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you say no brakes? You will want brakes to stop that load. I would keep looking.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put an ad on craigslist this morning looking for a trailer. A guy just called me that has a galvanized roller trailer, 14" wheels, a new 2000lb axle, bearings, and buddies for $250. He had an 18' on it. I plan to go see it this afternoon. Anything in particular I should look for?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

1stgenbird, you should probably start a new threat for your trailer. Some may concider it hijacking a thread and it also distracts and confuses the thread to everyone else trying to keep the 2 questions seperate.

Not beachin just suggesting.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

My 22.5ft Islander is sitting on a trailer that is rated for 20-22ft boats.
With the winch all the way forward the transom is even with the back of the bunks.
You will have a foot hanging over.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

1stgenbird, you should probably start a new threat for your trailer. Some may concider it hijacking a thread and it also distracts and confuses the thread to everyone else trying to keep the 2 questions seperate.

Not beachin just suggesting.

Suggestion taken.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I put an ad on craigslist this morning looking for a trailer. A guy just called me that has a galvanized roller trailer, 14" wheels, a new 2000lb axle, bearings, and buddies for $250. He had an 18' on it. I plan to go see it this afternoon. Anything in particular I should look for?

3' more trailer?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

My 22.5ft Islander is sitting on a trailer that is rated for 20-22ft boats.
With the winch all the way forward the transom is even with the back of the bunks.
You will have a foot hanging over.

Depends on the trailer really.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Guys, either try it and see or ask yourself the question " Will my 21 ft boat fit into va 20ft garage"
Check the load rating as well to the weight of the boat.

NYBo

Admiral

As long as your boat is within the weight capacity (with a safety margin), you could extent the tongue and move the winch stand forward, if need be.

Did you say no brakes? You will want brakes to stop that load. I would keep looking.
That was my thought also. Add brakes for sure. However, with all the mods you'll need to make this work correctly, the purchase price had better be right!

As long as your boat is within the weight capacity (with a safety margin), you could extent the tongue and move the winch stand forward, if need be.

That was my thought also. Add brakes for sure. However, with all the mods you'll need to make this work correctly, the purchase price had better be right!

+1 for the Price is Right!!