Why this is the coolest forum on iBoats..

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
90 pct of the time you can answer a post and nearly always you have a 50 pct chance of being correct. That's why we call it fishin and not catchin. Talking about fishing has always been that way and always will be. That's why we love it so a much. You can learn as much from a 6 year old as you can a 60 year old.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum sane and fun.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
Re: Why this is the coolest forum on iBoats..

90 pct of the time you can answer a post and nearly always you have a 50 pct chance of being correct. That's why we call it fishin and not catchin. Talking about fishing has always been that way and always will be. That's why we love it so a much. You can learn as much from a 6 year old as you can a 60 year old.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum sane and fun.

Keep in mind there are alot of fisherman in here....therefore....must be alot of lying also...LOL :D

Jlawsen

Keep in mind there are alot of fisherman in here....therefore....must be alot of lying also...LOL :D

Funny thing about that.. It's not really lying. Sometimes it's a stretch of the truth and other times its by design to mislead and decieve the competition but nah, it's not really lying. I don't know of a time anyone got hurt from telling a fishing story. I have seen fights break out over who's got the best story but heck that's supposed to happen, (isnt it). LOL I've yet to see anyone get hurt in one of those fights either. Most of the time they end up laughing, shake hands and become fishing buddies for life.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do all liars fish, or do all fishermen lie?

Just remember, it's just another fish story without pictures!

Talking about fishing is good! Talking trash about fishing before going is bad. Talking trash about fishing while fishing is bad too. Talking trash about fishing after the day is over and the tackle is put up is the best.:p

Lying about catching fish you didn't really catch is blasphemy and you will suffer for it at some point in time... sooner or later.:D

Talking about fishing when you can't go fishing is the next best thing to fishing!

scipper77

Commander

I can assure you that any fish I catch worth bragging about will have a picture taken hanging from my scale. I can not believe how many 5 lb bass I have heard about this year!! Believe me every 3.5-4 lb bass would be at least five if I didn't carry a scale.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I can assure you that any fish I catch worth bragging about will have a picture taken hanging from my scale. I can not believe how many 5 lb bass I have heard about this year!! Believe me every 3.5-4 lb bass would be at least five if I didn't carry a scale.

Yeah, people that say I caught a 5 lb. this, or a 2 lb. that or a 10 lb. something else are just guessing at the weight.
... but if someone says I caught a 5 lb. 3 oz bass, they probably did. It's very rare for a fish to weigh in at an even pound weight on the dot.

Jlawsen

Ya'll don't get it. Telling fish stories is not about trashing anyone, ever. People that have to resort to that to make themselves feel better have other problems.

Jigingrub, if I tell someone I caught a 3-4 lb Steely it's because I've caught enough of them to estimate the weight real close. A 22" Steelie weighs in between 3-4 lbs usually. Bass are a little different but I never weigh them unless I'm required to for a tourney and I just go by size and weigh them all at the end of the day. I just fish in the amature stuff so maybe you pro's do it different.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Nah Jay, fishin' trash talk is bragging/BS talk... not talking bad about or insulting someone.

My fishin' buddy always like to talk about how he's going to catch the biggest and most fish before a trip, and if he does catch a big one while we're fishin' he really starts talking s**t... and when he starts talking the most and biggest BS is when I usually catch a fish bigger than his, he'll talk it onto my line nearly every time. It's all in fun and we always get a big laugh about it.

As far as weight goes, I'm not really interested in how many lbs. a fish weighs. Usually if I do any kind of measuring on a fish I'll measure the length of it, but I don't even do that much.

The way I like to measure fish is in pictures, if it's a nice size fish it's going to look like a nice size fish in the picture... and if you don't weigh or measure it people will always guess heavier and bigger than it probably was, just like they do with their own fish.

There is one thing about fish pictures that gets me though, and that's the people that hold the fish as far away from their body as they can to try to make this fish look bigger. This is pretty dumb on their part and ruins the pic for me. You see a little body, a big fish, and huge hands.:D My usual comment to this is "Dude! That fish makes your hands look HUGE!":rolleyes: or ""Don't hold that fish so far away from your body, you could lose your balance fall forward and hurt yourself.":p

Fishin' and fish talk is always good!

Jlawsen

Yeah Jig, I agree, I was a little harsh in that last comment. Didn't mean it to come out that way, it was the keyboards fault..LOL..