Primer Bulb Collapsing

Arkansas256

Cadet
My primer bulb will collapse and not allow me to pump. I have checked the inside of the gas tank, and done about everything I know. Please post any and every idea you can think of, the motor can't get enough fuel to run. This is a brand new line and bulb. Thanks!

fireman57

Captain
Re: Primer Bulb Collapsing

Is the arrow on the bulb pointing toward the engine?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

did you check the anti-syphon valve for blockage?

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the old bulb collapse too? What about tank venting? Dirt in the tank clogging the pickup tube?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you try a new hose bulb? Is the hose bulb arrow pointing generally upward?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Mine did the same just 2 weeks ago- It was a bad gas tank cap (not venting correctly)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well you have checked everything but the fuel tank vent. They can get clogged.

lindy46

Captain

Yup - try loosening or removing the cap and see what happens.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How did you check the anti-syphon valve ??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As Lindy45 suggests.......

When that primer bulb collapses, loosen the gas tank filler cap to create an additional vent. If that causes the primer bulb to inflate fully, you have a clogged Tank Air Vent.

(Fuel Anti Siphon Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Many of the later OMC V/6 engines incorporate a fuel restriction warning via a vacuum device attached to the powerhead. If the engine overheats, or if you have a fuel restriction, the warning is the same.... a steady constant beep.

NOTE... Only the V/6 & V/8 engines have the above "Fuel Restriction Warning". The warning horn will not sound on the other models.

The fact that a engine is not overheating, but the warning horn sounds off with a constant steady beep, and that the rpms drop drastically would indicate that the engine is starving for fuel due to a fuel restriction. Check the built in fuel tank where the rubber fuel line attaches to the tank fitting. That fitting is in all probability a "Anti Siphon" valve which is notorious for sticking in a semi closed position. It will be aluminum, about 2" long, and the insides of it will consist of a spring, a ball, and a ball seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner components which will convert it to a straight through fitting, then re-install it. Hopefully that cures the problem.

The above procedure will cure a restriction problem with the anti siphon valve as stated. BUT, it may also allow fuel to drain backwards to the fuel tank when the engine is not running (siphoning backwards) due to the fact that the carburetors/fuel pump etc are higher than the fuel tank. This condition is not an absolute as the valves in the fuel primer bulb usually prevent this backwards siphoning problem. However.... if this does take place, the cure would be to install a new anti siphon valve.

NOTE: There has been cases when the output valve in the fuel primer bulb would come apart, and the inner portion of the valve would actually reverse itself and be drawn back into the primer bulb's output valve body. This in effect would create a shut off valve and result in a fuel restriction. If this is the case, you should be able to feel something laying in the bottom of the primer bulb when held horizontally.

What engine is this... model number?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have seen some very crappy third party bulb/fuel line assemblies out lately. Defective right out of the box. Mine gives me fits every now and then with the valves not working unless they are straight up and down (vertical).
I'm not entirely sure that the genuine Evinrude ones are any good anymore.....

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick thought/question.... could the OP's problem possibly be the fuel line is too small, thus causing the fuel pump to be trying to suck in the required fuel but not able to get it through the line?? kinda like trying to take a drink of fountain pop through a coffee stirrer....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I still would like to know how he checked the anti-syphon valve ??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On that item, I'm afraid that I reduce my status to that of a parts replacer..... a peace of mind thing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Better peace of mind....... Knock the ball and spring out.............

if the op is from florida then a blocked fuel vent is normall as mud dobbers love small holes. i would pull off the fuel tank vent and blow down the hose to make sure its free.