'88- 50hp Reed cage and intake scoring.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
'88- 50hp. I am doing a rebuild due to piston failure on this motor. Regarding inspection of reed cage: The bottom of the lower reed cage is scored and worn, as is the bottom of the intake that feeds the reed cage. This caused the two bottom/lower petals to flare out: see the two photos. MY question is What caused this? Can I carefully flatten the cage on a stone or do I need a new cage? ThanksIMAG0227.jpgIMAG0226.jpgit?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '88- 50hp Reed cage and intake scoring.

Post some pics of the other side of the reed cage.
Not sure of the reason it looks beatup.
Anything in there bouncing around?
The intake looks ok,but I'd look for another set of reeds/block just to be sure???
FrankA might have something you can use.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

All Chrysler and Force engines allow reeds to stand open .010 at rest. This is enough to see daylight through. SO: If the scratches are not too bad, you could probably just leave them alone with no reduction in performance. If you do it carefully so as to maintain a completely flat surface, you can also reface the reed petal seating surfaces on a pane of glass with about 200-400 grit emory. Don't worry about the damage inside the manifold. Just clean out any loose crap.

NOW: If reed petals are bent so as to lay open more than .010 or if any petals are damaged, they must be replaced. Do not try to flip them over and pre-load and do not try to bend them.

It is almost a certainty that the damaged piston spit particles back into the intake and damaged the reeds. When finished rebuilding the engine be very fussy about carb settings and also disassemble and thouroughly clean the carb. Rebuild the fuel pump and place a filter in line BETWEEN the fuel pump and carb. Lean running is the most common reason for piston damage followed by broken rings on pistons that use stock semi-keystone top rings.

IF you need reeds or you want to see how to do it send me a private message and you can come visit me. I am close to Route 202 construction.and 30 bypass.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Frank...PM sent

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I never received your PM. Try again. Or, check your PM. Ahh--got it. I guess it takes a couple of minutes to be received