OMC Sterndrive 800 lift gear slipping?

bigbadbob17

Recruit
Hello, made some searches but could not find an answer..

My lift motor was just rebuilt and seems to be working well. When lifting my leg the last time it made a loud clunking/gear jumping or slipping sound. I took off the cover on the gear housing and it was full of water. Would this cause the clutch to slip thus making the painful sounds? I cant see any metal shavings inside the housing and the shaft and the end of the lift motor that connects to the worm gear does not look damaged at all. Obviously I need to replace the shaft seal that goes around the clutch pack and make sure there is a good seal when I put the cover back on to minimize the water getting in.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Sterndrive 800 lift gear slipping?

Yes, it could. Fill the box with 30wt and see how it goes. btw, what year is your stringer? Later seals were doubled up. That is a problem area because of the leverage of the weight of the outdrive on the shaft. Some advocate packing the box with grease to keep the water out. Be sure to double gasket the cover when you put it back on.

bigbadbob17

Recruit

Thanks for the response! I took the whole lift gearcase apart after posting, the brass worm ring has some decent gouges in it like the worm gear was skipping on it. Worm gear and everything else look to be perfect still. I noticed that the worm gear shaft was missing both the bushing and the washer that are shown on the exploded parts diagram so I have ordered these along with new seals, worm ring, and bushings. The last owner put the cover on crooked and pinched the o-ring causing it to leak like crazy. Hopefully all these new bits and I will be back in action!

Attachments

• 183729_10151125000918254_781179443_n.jpg
    183729_10151125000918254_781179443_n.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1

bigbadbob17

Recruit

Well i got the new worm ring installed and packed the case with grease then topped it off with oil as I had seen suggested a few different spots. Now the solenoid will click and I can see the leg move up a few millemeters or so but thats the only movement I get up and down.... either something is binding inside the case or the motor IS shot... any ideas?

southkogs

Staff member

Are the trunions greased and what kinda' shape is the hammer coupling in?