Yamaha 150 Vmax overhauled and still has problems

I just had my Yamaha VMAX 150hp 2-stroke overhauled. The motor purred like a kitten the first time I got it back on the water and ran it for several miles, no problems starting the engine at all. I took the boat back out yesterday and it started right up, ran it about a mile to the fishing hole and turned it off. Trolled around for about an hour then went to fire up the motor. It turned over then puttered out while still in neutral immedieately. I gave it a minute, then cranked it again and it wouldn't turn over. I waited 10 minutes thinking I had flooded it, but it still wouldn't crank over. Waited about 30 minutes and still wouldn't turn over. I then began trolling back to the dock and about 45 minutes later, I try it again and it cranks and turns over when in medium neutral.

I run it like that for about 30 seconds, kick it down to neutral, then pop it up into drive (it nearly puttered out when I kicked it into neutral). Now in the lower RPMs the motor sounds much rougher than it did the day before. I ran it around the lake some at different speeds. Above idle, it sounds great. I was able to turn it off and then start it back up without problems.

However, it seems like a lot more smoke is coming out of the engine now, like it is burning oil. When the mechanic overhauled it would he have to re-calibrate the oil/gas ratio? Would to much oil in the mix cause the motor to not turn over? Is it bad on the motor to start it in high neutral and run it like that for a minute or two? Any guidance on next step to pinpoint issue would be appreciated!

Nick

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 150 Vmax overhauled and still has problems

Take it back to whoever did the overhaul and have them check it out.

Motor not being able to turn over means it is locked up in my neck of the woods, so you may have some major damage already.

Did they tell you how to break the rebuild in?

High RPMs on a motor in neutral is never good on it