Vortec-ify?

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1994 4.3lx with Edelbrock 4bbl.
S/N 0F281912....

I may have a line on Vortec heads and intake. Could I do this? Would this be bolt-on? Would I need anything else?

If this is possible what kind of power increase could i expect? Any potential problems?

Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Vortec-ify?

1994 4.3lx with Edelbrock 4bbl.
S/N 0F281912....

I may have a line on Vortec heads and intake. Could I do this? Would this be bolt-on? Would I need anything else?

If this is possible what kind of power increase could i expect? Any potential problems?

Thanks in advance!

Ayuh,..... It's a simple bolt-on, yes...

Without the Right pistons, yer leavin' some horsepower on the table,....

Ya oughta pick up another 10hp or so...

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the right pistons how much increase? Probably not worth the effort. Would I have to reprop, too?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if your going thru the effort of changing pistons, then I would do a complete re-build. I went the route of vortec heads on my 5.7 liter along with intake and a cam change.

just changing the heads will net you an increase in power like Bond-O stated, however it will also increase your compression ratio. this will put you in the area of higher octane fuel.

what is the problem your trying to fix. if it is a speed of boat thing, that is fully understandable. remember, speed costs.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no particular problem... just thought if I could pick the parts up cheap it might be worthwile. With a 3-1/2 year old and another on the way, probably not worth the time it would take...

Thanks for the input guys.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

with a growing family, you may be upgrading the boat to a larger one in a few years. I say, enjoy the boat you have, then get the one you want in a few years.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup... Wife's talking a 23'-25' cuddy or express...