Boat a float

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here I go again with few more new questions, but that's only a curve in my learning ways get answers from you fine people who know more then I do.

So the weather has been awesome here recently, time to take the boat out and bake a little in the sun on the water cruising speed.

1.) recently I've posted a question about the high up tilt at the front I had or the nose being higher up then anyone I see around on a 16 foot boat. I was told to move the trip down two spots closer to the transom. Did that and it fixed the issue, so the boat is more leveled now when going about 20 - 25 mph. However, something new I've noticed and if I can next time I will take pictures. Now when I'm going about 15 to 25 mph anywhere in that range or actually even 10 mph will do small ones, the water behind me sprays upwards away from the engine in a V shape... It's kind of strange to me.. At 15 mph, it is higher then the transom on both left or right. I even got afraid it would splash against the sides of the outboard motor and flood it. Any ideas?

2.) this one I haven't tested but I've noticed with my wife sitting next to me, she weights basically the same as me, little less and I'm not a big guy but I've noticed my boat is tilted a little to the right... I've got a battery sitting on my side in the back. As I said I haven't experimented on moving the battery to the other side or putting a gas tank on the other side to changing the weight on my side. Just thought I'd ask if someone recommends taking the floor apart and seeing if there is any water stuck somewhere? I do have to admit recently the back got flooded because I forgot to pop the plug in. Lol. Would that make water go in areas and get stuck to make this tilt that I have to dry off?

3.) normal for a 6 gallon tank and 35 Johnson to burn throug half in 2 hours of 15 mph run in a calm river? Just for the info, it's a 1967 Starcraft 16 foot with a 60 or 70 something Johnson 34 with 35hp.

Thank you once again for any responses. Appreciate it a bunch.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat a float

1) I'm assuming you don't have trim? If so, you have to pre-adjust your trim by the little pin that you moved. If you get it too low, the outdrive will spray water up. You won't flood the engine, but its costing you a fair amount of efficiency tossing all that water up.

2) Easy solution, move the battery.

3) 3 gallons in 2 hours, so 1.5 gallons per hour. if you actually ran at 15 mph the entire time, you managed 10 miles to the gallon. That is VERY good for a boat!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat a float

1 - Sounds like the motor is mounted too low on the boat.

See picture below.
The bottom red line marks the cavitation plate.
It should be even with, or slightly above the bottom of the hull.

shaft_length_small.gif

2 - The water "should" drain out. It would take a lot of water to make the boat list like that.

Move the battery, or move the wife, or just get used t the fact that small boats are very weight sensitive.