towing with no stringers

roselawn

Cadet
hey guys just want to know if its safe tow my boat that the stringers were cut out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: towing with no stringers

I wouldnt do it. it would be like towing your car with the frame removed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

well if you can properly block it up......and depending on how far......many factors fill in with more info.

roselawn

Cadet

thats not good, the guy thats is doing the stringers is taking way too long to finish it and it dosen't look like the way it should be done. 6 weeks and counting

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well the cap is still on so that is the wrong way to do the stringers but a plus for moving it.

Be certain to support the transom and for a limited distance you should be fine. If you have a roller trailer I would place flat plywood between the rollers and the hull to relieve the stress ponts

Interesting.....hows the transom> if the stringers were shot usually the transom is trashed too

Scott Danforth

Staff member

the cap is still on and the motor is still in the boat and the stringers are being replaced?

Usually the motor has to come out to replace the stringers that the motor is mounted to. Also like Bob said, the transom is usually gone if the stringers are gone.

Bob_VT

Staff member

the cap is still on and the motor is still in the boat and the stringers are being replaced?

Usually the motor has to come out to replace the stringers that the motor is mounted to. Also like Bob said, the transom is usually gone if the stringers are gone.

We are just so cynical ;) But it does sound like a hack type method that I am sure the hack will swear he has done hundreds of times!!

On a bright note ....the flotation is gone and much of the messy work is too ;)

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I prefer to think we are realists, and not cynical.

for floatation foam, I found that a wire cup brush about 3" in diameter mounted on a 1' extension, the cordless drill and a pair of leather gloves I can turn the foam into powder in very short time and simply use the shop vac to clean up. most of the water is removed this way too.

roselawn

Cadet

he couldn't pop the top because the nose was stuck somewhere the transom lookes to be ok, the motor is atached on the transom and one front engine mount so he was able to remove the stringer and from what i seen it was only rotted on the top of the stringer it did not make it all the way through.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

You guys are tough... its taken me six weeks to paint my fence, and counting...