1971 mercury 1150 turns off when put into gear

al santiago

Cadet
well i put my boat in the water ran fine for about ten minutes then started bogging down and turned off. put it in neutral starts right up and idles fine but when i put it into gear it shudders a little then turns off. need help in finding what could be causing this. :(

thanks in advance

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 mercury 1150 turns off when put into gear

Shuddering might be a spark problem. Let's see did the '71 have a coil? If so, I'd say coil but the fact that it starts right back up says no. If the coil died due to heat, it would have to cool before it would restart.

Soooo looks like you have some crud floating around. You are blocking off your fuel supply somewhere in the process seems to me. If the bulb is tight, or you can get it tight while the engine is running, then I'd say some crud in your carb bowls floating around.

Get an aerosol can of Sea Foam at an auto parts store. You use SF, not starting fluid as it has oil in it and is made for 2 stroke engines particularly. Take the cowl off and get a helper. When it bogs have the helper spray SF into the carb throats. If you get an immediate impulse of power that carb isn't supplying fuel as it should. Try that.

Mark