Set timing without marks?? 3.0GS

99z286spd

Cadet
Is there a way to set timing without the marks on the timing cover? I have the required shunt and timing light but when I attempted to time the engine, there are no marks visible on the cover. Can I just set #1 to TDC? How will I know if I'm on compression or Exaust stroke? Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Set timing without marks?? 3.0GS

What happened to your timing tab? Without it, you have no way of finding TDC accurately short of using a piston stop tool.
I know they make timing tabs for Chevy V8's, not sure if there are after market tabs for the 3.0L or not.

99z286spd

Cadet

What happened to your timing tab? Without it, you have no way of finding TDC accurately short of using a piston stop tool.
I know they make timing tabs for Chevy V8's, not sure if there are after market tabs for the 3.0L or not.

According to Doug Russell marine, the timing marks are gone off the timing cover. Engine has to be pulled to replace timing cover and THEN they can check my suspicion that the timing is off. I went to have timing checked and I got a phone call the next day that it can't be checked till that is replaced and they charged 200$ to tell me that. I figure there has to be another way... I do not see a tab anywhere around the crank. I am a Ford mechanic so I'm pretty good mechanically if you have any pointers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if your a mechanic, then you know without the timing tab to indicate TDC, your just guessing. best you could do, is pull the cover, line up the timing marks, then put the cover back on, and mark where TDC is. or use the piston stop method to determine TDC and mark the cover. however if you have gone that far, just install a new cover.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

What does the O/B in your signature stand for? I can help if you have a inboard.

99z286spd

Cadet

Thanks gents. I guess pulling the engine is on the list. It does have a slight oil leak at the timing cover so it won't hurt to do it. The boat, and motor in my signature no longer belongs to me. I have now a 1998 Chaparral 1830 with 3.0GS Volvo penta with SX outdrive with 2.18 gear ratio. I can barely read model # on engine. It's on a sticker on the side of a square box thing. ( im sorry I really don't know boats well)
Thanks for tryin to help... Any Other info you need let me know.

Don S

Look on your engine for the serial number tag, it has the model number on it also. You will need that information to get the proper parts.

SN.jpg

I assume the timing tab rusted off, which is probably why you have a small oil leak as well. Rust pin holes in the cover. Problem is, the same thing happens to the oil pan.

Nhpatriot

Seaman Apprentice

Couldn't he time it with an adjustable timing light?
Find TDC which is pretty easy if you can spin the engine by hand, mark that then move the timing light adjustment backwards and go?
I've never used that kind of light but seems like it should work...

99z286spd

Cadet

Can anyone decode this info for me? I want to pick up some manuals...
Serial# 4110168845
Model# PBYMCE
Thanks
Leon

99z286spd

Cadet

Thanks for the link. I just searched for 15-20 min and seems the only available publication is a parts catalog... I tried to find a WSM but they as not avail. Any idea what I could do to get one now? Thanks again Don

Don S

Have you checked your private messages lately?

99z286spd

Cadet

Seems mobile version of I oats dosen't alert to pm's. I'll check now.

jascadman

Cadet

What was your private message from Don. I have the same engine with exact same problem. Thank you in advance.

99z286spd

Cadet

Don gave me a link to the manuals to download. I used those manuals to remove my engine and fix it this past winter. All went well and the boat is running excellent at this time.