engine stays on only when manual primer is on

ottercreeksco

Recruit
i have a johnson 90 hp 1982 motor and it sat for 3 years i cleaned out the carbs ,put new plugs in and new water pump. ran fine on lake for 30 minutes and then stalled coming in now it will only stay running when the primer is on manual, could it be the fuel pump?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: engine stays on only when manual primer is on

The fuel pump should be ok or you wouldn't have fuel for the primer to work on manual. It sounds like fuel problem, carbs, lines, tank vent. When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the core plugs and all the orifices and make sure every passage is clean?

ottercreeksco

Recruit

The fuel pump should be ok or you wouldn't have fuel for the primer to work on manual. It sounds like fuel problem, carbs, lines, tank vent. When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the core plugs and all the orifices and make sure every passage is clean?

i did not take out orfices,how do i check the tank vent

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Are you using a portable plastic tank or is your tank built into the boat?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

There should be a fitting on the outside of the boat somewhere, normally close the the tank. Look at the under side of the fitting, there should be a screen there, make sure that it is not plugged up.
If you have a plugged vent it will normally run for a while, stall, and then start and run for awhile untill the engine sucks a vacume again.
I think you problem lies else where, carbs probably.

ottercreeksco

Recruit

There should be a fitting on the outside of the boat somewhere, normally close the the tank. Look at the under side of the fitting, there should be a screen there, make sure that it is not plugged up.
If you have a plugged vent it will normally run for a while, stall, and then start and run for awhile untill the engine sucks a vacume again.
I think you problem lies else where, carbs probably.

i am going to clean the carbs again thanks for the info