Advice on trailer set up

jm625

Cadet
First off, first post, have been lurking around reading up and finally registered. Alot of great information here that is very helpful. I did some searching around on this issue and can't seem to find any trailer that is set up like this one. I bought this Wellcraft suncruiser 255 with intent of really restoring it over this winter. The boat is solid and needs alot of little stuff and paint. The trailer however...well before i even could move it i needed to put 2 axles under it and 4 tires/wheels. In the mean time I launched it twice and stayed close to make sure no big issues before i go sinking money into it. Launching/Retrieving was a disaster as i expected it to be. Lucky no damage was done to the boat. Probably should not have launched it in the first place as i risked wrecking it getting back on the trailer. So anyway, I have always had bunk trailers with the exception of a little 17 ft on a little roller trailer that was in good shape and easily adjustable to get just right. I have absolutely no problem with bunk trailers, and would not mind converting this trailer to bunks. Now, i have some pictures on Photobucket of this setup, and wonder if this trailer is even correct for this boat? the boat sits on the frame(no support at front of boat), bow down, and seems WAY too heavy in front, front axle has noticeably more weight on it then rear, and it takes alot to get my pickup to squat past the level point, and this thing will do that. Also the tongue seems very long and sways quite a bit, a good kick to the tongue and the trailer will sway back and forth probably 3 times, makes for hell going down the road, and is already scrubbing the tires from going back and forth. It is also a tilt trailer, with a shotty mechanism for the tilt and ALOT of play up and down. The rollers and pivots are all shot, and would need replacing anyway. Like i said before, i have no problem with converting to bunks (and fixing play in tilt, making it solid. could the sway be from all the tongue weight? I am definitely overweight on front axle and way over on tongue weight, but axles seem almost all the way up. maybe 4" further forward could be obtained.) if that is the easier way out, i find bunks just as easy as rollers where i happen to launch. The trailer needs some work, but I am a mechanic by trade and thats no big deal, but as a boat trailer i am a bit lost as to where to start on this thing, or to get rid of it and just get something that is more suited for this boat. I bought the boat for the boat, the trailer was more or less a freebie that needed some work to get it home. So if anyone could, take a look, and suggest where to start or what your thoughts are with this it would be much appreciated! Any more info and pictures I will gladly provide upon request. THANK YOU!
Jared
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/jmarden625/

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Advice on trailer set up

That's kinda' crazy lookin' to me. Almost looks like an attempt at a home built. I agree with you that the front of the boat (really even mid-ships) is not getting supported sufficiently. I'd look at a different trailer myself.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

No clue here as to who made that. Looks like there are enough rollers at the stern and midship but really looks as though there should be at least one keel roller under the bow about where that strap is placed.

jm625

Cadet

Thank you for the replies, i figured it was homebuilt, right where that strap is is where the tilt mechanism is. I guess i could figure a way to get a keel roller there, but would that create a stress point? Thank you

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats, neighbor!:cool:

The winch stand needs to be moved forward (transom not supported and I'll bet your tongue weight is too low), the winch itself needs to be higher (bow eye should be under the roller), and there definitely needs to be support for the keel near the bow.

This trailer may not be suitable for your boat.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah I think these guys are dead on,

First off every roller needs to be replaced since they are all worn out and oval now

I think this trailer probably had the tongue stretched at some point since the mains come into the tongue to far back

I think the boat is way to big for this trailer and while I hate going against NYBO I bet the tongue weight is way to much because the axles are to far back, you could move them forward but I think your still far beyond the limits of this trailer baring a huge rebuild

Add all this up and I would get another trailer

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the bow eye needing to be UNDER the bow roller. This is the THIRD time today I have seen this while reading these forums !
Welcome to iboats, neighbor!:cool:

The winch stand needs to be moved forward (transom not supported and I'll bet your tongue weight is too low), the winch itself needs to be higher (bow eye should be under the roller), and there definitely needs to be support for the keel near the bow.

This trailer may not be suitable for your boat.

jm625

Cadet

Thank you for the replies and welcome, NYBo. I think i have some to the conclusion that this trailer should just be replaced. I have another trailer setup for my 1982 25' larson cabin cruiser, that boat needs alot of work so i may just end up swapping trailers, however i noticed the bunks on that trailer have no adjustment on them, so maybe that wouldnt work out too well..any thoughts? The bunks are in good shape but the trailer would almost definitely need to be setup a little different as the hull shapes are not even close to being the same.

NYBo

Admiral

I think the boat is way to big for this trailer and while I hate going against NYBO I bet the tongue weight is way to much because the axles are to far back, you could move them forward but I think your still far beyond the limits of this trailer baring a huge rebuild
Blasphemy!!!

:p

Anyway, the heavy end of the boat is hanging off the trailer and JM mentioned the trailer swaying, which is often a symptom of tongue weight that's too low.

Regardless, I think we all agree the trailer is a no-go.