1989 Alumacraft Super Bandit Restore

rain-man64

Recruit
I have an 89 Alumacraft Super Bandit.. it starting taking on considerable water after I struck a partially submerged object in the lake. I checked the hull, no hole, after filling the boat with water, (on the trailer at home,) noticed several of the bulkhead fittings that had been previously siliconed, or siilyconed,as I seen it referred to on this site, where leaking, well looking for a quick fix to get through the rest of the summer, I cleaned off the old and put on new silicone.this helped a little, but after putting the boat back in the water,still taking on water.. after further investigation, found the transom is rotted, and water coming in through the outboard engine mounting bolt. i have said all this to say this.. does anyone have any experience replacing the transom board on this type bolt. it apperarsto be under a cap on top, riveted between aluminum..

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Alumacraft Super Bandit Restore

Welcome to iboats. They're gonna need some pics.:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well you have your work cut out for you. If I remember right those are similar to the Bass Tracker modified V designs. It is all doable and not too bad but time consuming.

DO NOT fill your boat on the inside with water! Bad idea. It gets the flotation foam wet which absorbs water and wets the underside of the deck and promotes rot.

You should plan on some exterior plywood or marine (Never Pressure treated), fiberglass (poly resin or epoxy), a 2 lb can of gluvit, some 3m5200, lots of SS fasteners and rivets. Dedicate a work area and the time to do this.

Look at the sticky at the top of this section with the tips and look at item 9

You have fun ahead.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Just tagging along and waiting for pics,............