Drain Plug Issue

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The drain plug threads all the way into the drain in the transom of my 1984 Sea Ray. It does not tighten down as it used to. I am assuming the drain in the transom will have to be replaced. I want assure its done right because I'm aware that rotten transoms often get their start in this area. How involved is this procedure?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Re: Drain Plug Issue

The drain on my 1986 Sea Ray is below the wooden part of the transom. All glass down there. Not a real big procedure, but still important to seal properly.

Still not too bad if it does goes through the wood. However, you might not like what you see when you expose the wood.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Is that a standard brass plug, screwing into a std garboard drain fitting? If so, it should be tapered pipe thread, which should not screw all the way in. Either the plug is the wrong one (replacements are avail at Home Despot), or the drain fitting is wrong or both.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

iboats sells the garboard plug and make sure you install a new one with 3m5200 so you do not leak........coat the outside of the plu before you insert it AND do not use the old screw holes......fill them with 5200 and make new ones.