Yamaha f115. What do you use for oil

razor49

Cadet
I have people telling me to use yamalube. Don't use yamalube. Use Amsoil synthetic. Don't use amsoil. This is a 4 stroke motor

Our family got back into boating this year and I want to use the best lubricants. I did call yamaha direct. The gentleman at Yamaha told me it did not matter if it were dino or synthetic. He of course told me to use yamaha products.

thanks for taking the time to reply

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha f115. What do you use for oil

If you're unsure, undecided or confused, then use the Yamaha recommended oil....you can feel confident that they've tested and proven all of their recommended lubricants. My son runs a 2006 F115 Yamaha and I'll ask him what he uses for oil. All that said, there's a lot of really outstanding oils on the market that would probably serve your motor well...it's not crummy lubricants that kill motors!...more likely old, contaminated, degraded gasoline. Good Luck!

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have labored over this question myself and to me it comes down to ....

How often do you change it? If you put alot of hours on the motor and want to run a synthetic FW rated oil go ahead if you put few hours on it and change it annually like me then us a conventional oil or Yamalube. I use Yamalube now but have not always. If I put a bunch of hours on a motor I might run a synthetic 4stroke oil if I could find a good one. I suppose the FW rating is important but good oil is good oil.

I think if you have a good maintenance schedule and use a quality oil you will probably not have an "oil related" problem. So relax, throw some decent oil n her and enjoy the water

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most folks don't run an outboard anywhere near the number of hours in a season where it makes one bit of difference what oil you use. Change the oil and filter at the END of every season, use the viscosity recommended and don't fret over dino or synthetic. The engine won't care and neither should you.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i use yamalube on my f150.that is the oil made for that motor.i would make sure the oil is marine rated and dont screw around with other stuff to save a few dollars.