How do i learn to repair an outboard?

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class
After a couple years of bad dealings with local mechanics, I have decided its time to do this myself. I am mechanicly inclined, and have most of the tools needed, but have very little experience with outboards.

I was sitting at work this morning, looking through my johnson service manual. The realization hit me that this is not rocket science. I can do this, I'm just not shure where to start.

Looking for resourses(books, video, web, etc) that can help me get a good understanding of the operations and functions of a marine motor. Focusing on 2 stroke tech for now. Understanding electrical is probably my weakest point.

Can anyone help by pointing me in a good direction?

emoney

Commander
Re: How do i learn to repair an outboard?

Personally, I think you're smack dab in the midst of a great resource for becoming more "DIY" as it pertains to all things boating, to include marine mechanics. I for one have spent hours reading other folks' threads for everything from a complete engine overhaul to changing out a fuel filter. It's all here, you just have to spent some time in each forum. I try and not spend my time only in a specific sub-forum as I like to read each engine manufacturer repair thread. Even though, for example, I don't currently own a Volvo Penta outdrive, there's tons of great info in that sub-forum in case I ever do.

Couple that with YouTube and I believe a person with basic mechanical aptitude, time and patience can accomplish just about anything that pertains to keeping these fossil fuel feeders functioning properly (like all the "f" words there in a row?).

robert graham

Admiral

Study your Service Manual, study your motor until you can at least recognize and identify each part and it's function, ask questions on these forums, study old forum threads....You'll learn it and have a great time in the process! There's some great guys on here that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences with you.;)

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea, iboats is and will be my greatest resourse. I thought that went w/o saying. lol

oldjeep

Admiral

If you have a decent manual then they are pretty simple, and the forum can fill what you can't understand. The manual should show you which tools you need that you may not have. I've built a lot of car engines but had never messed with an outboard before - I rebuilt a Mercury 50 that ate a piston last winter with just the FSM and it was not difficult at all.

southkogs

Staff member

If I can do it with a manual and these forums ... ANYONE can do it with a manual and these forums. :rolleyes:

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Way back in the day, I learned alot about car motors by taking a blown 350 chevy and tearing it apart piece by piece and checking things out. I would love to do that with an outboard, but I don't have a sacraficial one laying around. lol.

Oh, and btw. The blown 350 chevy was blown in a bad way, didn't have a supercharger on it. lol

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just remember this...... slow and steady wins. Do not "bull" anything on an outboard......the bigger hammer routine is not good. Ask questions along the way.

Use the right manuals......

You said it in the first post...... it's not rocket science.

What I recommend if you have the funds look for a small older motor to tinker on. It will be a good learning tool, easy to manhandle and takes up little room. I have seen many cheaper older motors around that would be great learning devices.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a decent manual then they are pretty simple, and the forum can fill what you can't understand. The manual should show you which tools you need that you may not have. I've built a lot of car engines but had never messed with an outboard before - I rebuilt a Mercury 50 that ate a piston last winter with just the FSM and it was not difficult at all.

I have the factory omc service manuals for all 3 of my motors, I don't think I need any of the aftermarket manuals unless you guys know something that I don't.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The first thing you have to understand is how and why your engine runs. What makes a 2 stroke a 2 stroke and how does the fuel get to the cylinders, why is a 4 stroke a 4 stroke, and how does it get fuel to the cylinders? Understanding those basic principals helps a lot in troubleshooting engine problems. Then understand how the fuel system works and what the carb does, then on to ignitions. Here you may want to stick with what you have for a while, trying to learn all the different ignition systems will drive you crazy. But they all do one thing. Fire the spark plugs at a certain time.
Once you understand the basics, the rest is easy and makes much more sense.

Then when someone says it sounds like a broken reed valve, you will understand why they said it and why it sounds like the problem.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Also---not to dis the forums--be discriminating and evaluate all the answers you will receive. Along with the excellent, there is a lot of bad advice given, some that will cause more damage to your engine. Read constantly and you will begin to know who to trust very quickly.

And money--all the "F" words in a row is called alliteration, as in Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

as in Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.

......a Peck of Pickled Peppers Peter Piper Picked. Ha! Been awhile since I recited that tongue twister.

-------------

Mr Tin can man, I started when I was in my early teens and my problem at time was thinking that everything had to be "oh so tight". I had no idea what a torque spec was. So in my infantile tinkering, and with that mentality, I was fooling around one day....learning mechanics on a perfectly functioning Scott Atwater 10 hp. I pulled the plugs and in putting them back, I promptly stripped out the threads on the first one reinstalled from too much torque.

Alum is soft, so get a torque spec, www has them just ask, and use it. If you are removing bolts in an older engine, especially one that has seen salt water service, expect corrosion to take it's toll and they are tough to get out. Don't think that you have to tighten them back that tight. Clean the threads, maybe even put in something to aid it reducing seizure and follow the torque spec for that size bolt.

Mark

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are a lot of maintenance items that you can easily do yourself that are cheap and are a 2/10 in degree of difficulty. Preventative maintenance will help you get your feet wet working on the boat and avoid some costs down the road. Grease the tilt tube, motor pivot, and cover latch zerks - 5 minutes and $1 worth of grease. Drain the lower unit oil and refill -15 minutes and about $10. Change your spark plugs (keep the old ones for spares) - 30 minutes and less than $15. Replace plug wires while you are there. Pull the trailer hubs and repack the bearings, 1 hour and $5 in grease.

Once you are feeling comfortable, change out you water pump impeller / seals / housing - $50 and an hour. Rebuild your carbs - suprisingly simple. Check your fuel hoses, tank and vent line, replace as necessary. Add a fuel / water separator. Lots of things you can do without getting in too much trouble. I had my steering cable freeze up a long time ago and about a half dozen times almost threw in the towel, but worked through frozen bolts, lifting the engine, etc and finally finished. Now I can do them in my sleep.

Buy some PB Blaster, and never remove a bolt or screw without it...

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Start with what you have. Whats wrong with your motor? Anything? If not that's OK. Have you done any maintenance to it lately? Changed the impeller? All good places to start. Buy a non-running kicker from Craig's list and fix it.

I had wrenched cars as a kid but never an outboard. Now Ive got an engine rebuild, carb overhaul and a ton of diagnostic and fixing experience. On diagnostics. That's really the most important part. If you cant ascertain whats wrong you'll never really know that you've fixed it. If you know whats wrong, fixing is just replacing the proper parts in the proper order, the OEM manual is what makes sure you dont screw this part up.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol, my prob is that all my ob's are running and serviced. Looks like I need a junker. here I come craigslist. Love the advice. Keep it coming.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

lol, my prob is that all my ob's are running and serviced. Looks like I need a junker. here I come craigslist. Love the advice. Keep it coming.

Craigs List or E-bay would be good starting points for a beater motor. The key words to look for are "just needs a tune up". That will almost guarantee the motor is JUNK.

coolguy147

Commander

Start with what you have. Whats wrong with your motor? Anything? If not that's OK. Have you done any maintenance to it lately? Changed the impeller? All good places to start. Buy a non-running kicker from Craig's list and fix it.

I had wrenched cars as a kid but never an outboard. Now Ive got an engine rebuild, carb overhaul and a ton of diagnostic and fixing experience. On diagnostics. That's really the most important part. If you cant ascertain whats wrong you'll never really know that you've fixed it. If you know whats wrong, fixing is just replacing the proper parts in the proper order, the OEM manual is what makes sure you dont screw this part up.

Opposite for me lol. Wrenched on an outboard first. Then ATV and then CAR lol :D

ronsealdeath

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What everyone has said above. Plus, don't do what I do which is take apart my fully working motor looking for problems! I know, I'm weird but sometimes I can't leave things alone and end up doing more harm than good.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Obvious I know, but not for me!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Check into your local high schools or community colleges for evening classes in small engine and/or outboard motor repair. Also look into the Association of Marine Technicians, http://www.am-tech.org/ , and the educational classes and information that they have available. They also have an annual Marine Service Expo every January in Florida with a week of classes, seminars, and discussions.

robert graham

Admiral

There's outboard motor preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and repair...my experience has been that if you do a real good job on your preventive maintenance, you will rarely have much troubleshooting and repair. Think, "what is required to make this motor start and run right, all the time?"...lots of newer motors have multiple fuel pumps and filters that need to be checked and cleaned periodically...best to get familiar with these for your particular motor and do the preventive maintenance, before it quits down the river somewhere. Clean, fresh fuel is a BIG key to your motor's running dependability and longevity. Fuel/water separaters are a great preventive maintenance item to install on your boat motor. Good Luck!:)