10ft Gamefisher jon boat restore/conversion

Georgia_Redneck

Recruit
Ok, So I got this 1989 10ft Gamefisher from a trade for an old kayak. When I got it the guy gave me the trolling motor and that was it. Got it home and realized that the wooden transom boards were gone so first things first. Installed a new transom. I did this with 3/4 inch pressure treated, 1/4x2 in. carriage bolts, gorilla glue, and sealed it all up with 5200. Before I did all this I had to try it out so with a 2x4 for a transom I mounted the trolling motor and was on my way. After running out of battery in the noon day sun and having to paddle 1 1/2 miles back I prayed for a outboard (kinda tight on cash at the time) and the next morning I woke and found this 2005 mercury 4hp 4 stroke leaning against my truck with a note saying "For your new boat, Have fun.". Thanks to whoever gave it to me. It is AWESOME! Anyways, Here are a few pics of what got so far.

IMAG0141.jpg

Boat and Trailer (picked up the trailer on craigslist for $55 W/ CLEAN TITLE!)

IMAG0142.jpg

Step-up that eventually will be where i mount lights and the trolling motor

IMAG0144.jpg

Back of boat with new transom board all sealed up

IMAG0145.jpg

Inside of boat with new transom board

IMAG0146.jpg

Power plant. Mercury 4hp 4 stroke = FREE!!!

Georgia_Redneck

Recruit
Re: 10ft Gamefisher jon boat restore/conversion

So, this is the game plan so far. Within the next week or so I want to add a casting deck on the front, external fuel tank, seats, built a trolling motor mount, and move it to the bow. The casting deck will have a cargo door that will house the trolling motor battery, fuel tank, and be able to flip all the way up to accommodate foot room for the front seat. I'm thinking about mounting the forward seat on a door what can flip back and house a live well with aerator and fill and drain pumps. Then mounting flood and navigation lights on the bow and a fish finder and last but not least, Carpet and PAINT:D (CAN YOU SAY CAMO?) I know that it sounds like a lot of weight for a 10ft, but I need more weight up front so that I can get on plane. So far I have only been able to do it with a 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud in the front and some leaning forward. lol. If you have any other ideas that you think I would like just let me know. Oh here is a simple rod holder I rigged up that plugs right into the old oar holder mounts.

IMAG0150.jpg

Stored.

IMAG0151.jpg

Mounted.

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a steal and a half of a deal! Also, I need better friends so I start getting some free stuff. Seriously though, You should not use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat. The chemicals from the treatment will react with the aluminum and cause corrosion. I don't know enough about it to say whether it is worth stripping and redoing, but definitely do not use pressure treated for the rest of it. As far as plywood goes get exterior grade (not pressure treated). They have it at home depot, but I had to be VERY clear with the guy that I did not want pressure treated. Put several coats of spar varnish on it to seal it before install. I did three on the sides and 6 on the ends (I just hit the ends each time I did a side). That's what was recommended to me by a bunch of guys much smarter than me (anyone on these forums). As far as planing, make sure you adjust the tilt of your motor appropriately. I have a 12' aluminum v-hull and had to adjust it down when I went out by myself vs. with my 200lb friend. Great find and happy boating!

Georgia_Redneck

Recruit

Thanks for the reply/info. I heard the same thing about the pressure treated. So I traded it out and got the exterior grade (it was actually cheaper) I coated each piece with a nice waterproof sealant used for waterproofing decks. It's coming along well so far. Getting the remainder of the framing/plywood this weekend hopefully. I'm going to cut it, seal it, then install as soon as possible. I drew up some plans for the framing and decking. I will put them up here asap. Thanks again.