1973 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin Carb question.

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice
I cleaned the carb on my 1973 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin. Now when I squeeze the bulb on the in-line pump coming from the tank, gas comes out a weep hole on the carb just past the butterfly valve. What did I do wrong?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1973 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin Carb question.

Are you sure the float is set right? And the needle valve is seated properly?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, when gas comes out it is an issue with the float needle not shutting off the flow. Recheck to make sure it's working properly. Often, I'll take the carb and invert it, then blow air through the fuel nip. You want no flow when inverted, and flow when upright.

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

Great advice! I'll check the float and needle again.
Thank you guys!

Rick.

Captain

I had a 73 and had the same problem. I put in a new kit and that solved it. I would follow the advice above but a new kit might be required. Rick

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

Chinewalker, I took your advice and blew air through the fuel nip. No air went through when the carb was inverted and air went through when upright, but BARELY! I will open it back up and check out the float and needle.

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I re-checked the float and needle. I cleaned the needle and valve again and did Chinewalker test again. It works great! But I still cant get the engine to even sputter and I'm not getting gas to the plugs. (I disconnected the kill button just in case) Can anyone direct me in what I should look at next? I appreciate any advice!
Eric

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

Success! The motor started after being stored outside for years. It keeps dieing if I let it idle but I hope thats just some minor adjustments. Thanks to all for your help.
E