Hurricane fundeck or Carolina Skiff Fundeck

Bri_N

Recruit
My husband and I were planning on buying a fundeck. I have tried doing research in comparing the two but have failed. The Hurricane or Carolina Skiff fundecks. I can not find anyone comparing the two boats. I would like the most for my money. I would also like pros and cons for these fundecks also. Anyone able to help with some advice will be greatly appreciated!

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hurricane fundeck or Carolina Skiff Fundeck

Do you mean the Carolina Skiff Fun Chaser?

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hurricane and Carolina Skiff both manufacture great boats and are good choices to consider when looking at this style boat. Hurricane is the longest producer of deckboats, Carolina just started. Look close at the deck layouts, what is standard verses optional and quality of hardware and amenities. Hopefully there are dealers in your area for you to look at examples to better judge. Just a few observations for example:

Carolina offers 4 models, Hurricane offers 11.
Carolina has models with a maximum beam of 98?, Hurricane offers up to 102? (wider offers more room)
Carolina has ?Changing Room? standard, Hurricane has it optional
Carolina has folding and Pop-up cleats, Hurricane has fixed cleats

Carolina has a ?Cathedral? hull design with a 10 to 12 degree deadrise at transom (depending on model), Hurricane has a ?Category 5? hull design with a 12.5 degree deadrise at transom for the Fun Deck models. These hulls are not exactly the same but are similar in that it allows the boat to be designed for maximum interior room (the front is pretty much as wide as the back), lower draft and very stable ride. With the Carolina Skiff?s slightly flatter hull design, the Hurricane?s hull design may have a bit of an advantage in providing a little smoother ride in choppier waters, so where you go boating may influence your decision on something like this.
Although I own a Hurricane Sun Deck model, it shares the same hull design with the Fun Deck and I have been very impressed with the ride and handling, even in the choppy waters of the bigger Northeast lakes. I would not hesitate to also put this boat in the bay (Hurricanes are very popular in Florida) on nicer weather days, but not out in deep ocean. Maybe there is someone out in the forum that can share a Carolina Skiff Fun Chaser experience.

Only you can decide what design, features and benefits matter to you most. Although I love my Hurricane, I personally don?t think you can go wrong with either manufacturer. Ultimately, it may be the Dealer you buy the boat from that may be the real deciding factor and most important one. Their location, quality of service and reputation on how they handle their customers can make a great or miserable boating experience.

Hope this helps a bit!

robert graham

Admiral

There is another possible alternative choice to consider: Sea Ark Boats- Big Easy model....it's got most of the features i believe you have in mind and it's all-welded aluminum...no cracking, rot, maintenance! Check it out;)