Little chainsaw help please

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got a little Poulan 14" chainsaw that's been a great trimming saw until recently. It doesn't want to stay running without a blip on the primer. I put a new diaphragm kit in it and I'm pretty religious about clean supply fuel. No change, any thoughts?

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Little chainsaw help please

Probably and ethanol related issue. I had the carbs upgraded on my Stihls this year because of a similar problem. The guy that did the work had a box of old carbs he'd been replacing. Hard to say it wasn't the problem since both of mine run great now.

halfmoa

Ensign

Is the primer bulb leaking? That will cause air to seep in and show the symptom you're speaking of. Replace the primer bulb when you're replacing the fuel lines. It's cheap insurance.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd be looking at the bellows that they attach the carb to the motor with. If it uses the same type of squeeze clamp that was on my last home depot chainsaw, you'll get air leaks there as time goes by.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Probably got saw dust in the fuel tank when you filled it with fuel. Replace the filter in the fuel tank for good luck and clean out the carb. When you tear the card down take a good look at the fuel pump diaphragm to makes sure it's doesn't have a hole in it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

D - all of the above

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It seemed like a "pumping" problem so I replaced the diaphragm at the bottom and whatever the crazy seal at the top is. Didn't do the filter yet. Did notice when I pump the primer there are bubbles running around, possibly the primer is leaking after all.

dolluper

Captain

if your mix is wrong airator may be pluged.....loggers take them out.......nice light show

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Check your fuel lines, all diaphrams, and the primer bulb for air leaks. The ethanol destroys the fuel system on 2-stroke engines and if it is a diaphram, most of the time it is cheaper to buy a new carb than to buy the kit. PM me with your model and I can price it for you if you wish.

bigdee

Commander

I have went through several of those “pull-ons” over the years. I consider them throw-away saws because of their low cost they are not cost effective to buy repair parts. I save 'em for parts though.