What year is this Merc 40 hp? What prop?

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer
This is an older two stroke Merc 402, 40 hp, outboard. Serial number is 4039935. Can anyone tell me the age of this motor? By the way, this motor is in Canada, although I don't know if serial numbers are different up here.

Also, what are the prop specs - shaft size, prop diameter, and pitch recommended for this motor. The prop is missing, so I have nothing to go by. It is for a 16 foot Lund aluminum fishing boat.

Thanks for any help.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What year is this Merc 40 hp? What prop?

I belive that the prop for your motor is a 12X 15 pitch and depending on the load you might be better off with a 13 Pitch when using it for pulling a skier or tube. Check out the Solas Prop web site for all the diffrent props for your motor. JMO
Oldman570

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the helpful replies. The motor is quite a bit older than I thought.

Any ideas on a good source for a used prop. After looking at the chart and considering the boat weight, etc., it seems that a 14, 15, or 16 pitch might work well.

Before I decide for sure whether to spend money on this nearly forty year old outboard, can those who know these old 402 motors offer their advice on how good they are? Is this a motor that is worth investing money into? In other words, are these great or not so great motors?

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

No opinions on this motor? Is it worth checking out and putting a few hundred dollars into, or is it a dinosaur? Any opinions appreciated.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

invest money in the motor. these old Mercury's are good motor's, and last forever if you use and store them right. I bought my 1972 402 back in 1995 for less than $300.00, and sold it in 2010 for $750.00. I needed to clean the carburetor once, replace the impeller once, and replaced the stater right before I sold it. it treated me great, I had fun with it, and I made money when I sold it.