Dumb question on using zig-zag cleats

Sunspots

Cadet
First time boat owner newbie here with a dumb question. On my Sea Ray 180 bowrider, the previous owner installed zig-zag style cleats, one on each side of the cockpit area, that I assume are for tying off fenders. When researching pictures of these in use, the line is just weaved through the cleat, but to me, it seems that the end of the line that is not attached to the fender hanging off the side would just come loose. Does anyone have any diagrams on how to secure that free end of the line? These cleats don't seem very secure, and a couple of times when I've had others helping dock say they've never seen these before.

Thanks!

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Dumb question on using zig-zag cleats

The line simply weaves or zig zags thru the cleat, just like the photos show. I don't think you have to secure the free end of your line to anything.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Like these?

S-D-043540-1_med.jpg

Sunspots

Cadet

Yes, but with the fender hanging off the side and sometimes somewhat floating, depending on dock height, it just seems like there's not enough weight to keep the line under tension and the fender could have the line float out of the last notched portion of the cleat.

halfmoa

Ensign

Are you using the correct diameter line?

MJG24

Seaman

Your fenders shouldn't be floating in many applications. I find that I have to put fenders where there aren't cleats for the best protection/coverage.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

They work with most any line size except maybe for washline. THey work great. Won't come loose. I use them for anchor line.

If the fenders float, shorten the pinch point. Or, the fenders are too big for your boat.