Needles Water Level

caken

Seaman
Hello!

We are heading to Needles this weekend for the first time and a bit concerned about the water depth in that area. The plan is to launch at Jack Smith so I wanted to see if anyone had any info on a safe area to boat where there are not a lot of sandbars or underwater obstructions. Also, how is the river from Jack Smith down to Pirates Cove?

Any tips for this area would be great!

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Needles Water Level

I was at the AVI 2 weeks ago and I wouldn't go out until after 1pm. They open the dam and the river rises several feet. I was still a little nervous about hitting something, though. If I was going to Needles, I'd probably feel more comfortable launching out of Moabi and boating in Topock Gorge. That's the nicest part of the river any way (IMO). I'm sure you'll be okay after 1pm, just follow the other boaters or the London Jet.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree with above although I don't believe it is as treacherous as the Avi. Following someone with an I/O is always a good plan. I am betting you can get the London Jet schedule pretty easily. Moabi down is definitely the best plan.

caken

Seaman

Ok makes sense. We weren't planning on going north of the launch ramp anyway. We are going to be doing lots of wakeboarding as well so where would you suggest the best spot for that is?