97 Force 120 Limp Mode

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at a 97 Force 120 that went into limp mode. The engine will crank and run but not go over 2200rpm. Engine did not over heat. The owner has removed the oil system and premixes. Any ideas as to what could be the problem and solution? And possible cost to fix?

emoney

Commander
Re: 97 Force 120 Limp Mode

I don't think there was ever an "oil system". These came factory "pre-mix", which is one of the reasons why Mercury chose to eliminate the brand, but mine is a 1995 so it could've changed I suppose. Seems odd that it went into "limp mode" and it did NOT overheat. Is this what the owner is telling you, or do you know for a fact it didn't overheat? What diagnostic tests have been run on the motor, i.e. Compression test/fuel test/spark?

No way to know how to fix it until it's known what's wrong with it, and that goes of course for the cost to repair. I'd start with a compression test and make sure it's running on all 4 cylinders before I even considered it. Some parts are obsolete, but most are available. Out of curiosity, what are you being asked to pay for it?

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really dont know if they have tested anything. They already wanted to upgrade to a larger engine and this was his chance. He wants 650 with all of the controls and prop.

emoney

Commander

I dunno, but where it to be me, I want to know there isn't a huge issue lying in there. That seems like a lot if you find out the block's cracked from an overheat. Smarter folks than me would weigh in, but a compression tester is only $10.00 at most big box retailers.

Who knows, maybe it's a "simple fix" and then it's a steal. I'd want to definitely know.

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a compression gauge but we are about a 100 miles apart and dont want to make several trips. I have another 120 Force that i am looking at about the same distance away that has a brand new power head for 1500 with controls and stainelss prop. If i can i would like to save some money. But if i spend 100-200 in gas trying to figure out if i should buy this one it seams i should buy the 1500 one.

emoney

Commander

I know it "sounds" lik a lot between the two, but if you got the $1500 motor down to say $1200, I'd bet you come out ahead. If the other motor was something "simple", seems like the owner would fix it so he, too, could ask $1500 for his. I don't know, just throwing things out there.

You could probably find a guy local to the "broke" motor that you could pay $100.00 to go do a compression test and diagnose it for you. That way, you at least know and if spending $100 saves you a nightmare then it's the cheapest hundred you've ever spent.

BTW, does the local 120 have "oil injection"? My manual is printed in 1998 and it doesn't mention an oil pump at all. Again, I don't know for sure, but I'm still thrown a smidge by that.