1986 90 HP Merc. No water pumpmingout discharge (pee) tube

nyrick

Recruit
I am new to this site and this boating info. I'm sure this question is always arising but please help me out. The engine sat for 4 years and I changed plugs, lower gear lube. (There was a bit of water in it) New battery, gas with marine stablizer, alittle spray of engine starter in the carbs, Rabbit ears with water running at various pressures. (Half to almost full pressure) and it fired up on the fifth try. Not rough at all but no water being discharged out the pee hole. I assume its the water pump/impeller which I will change BUT could anyone tell me if it might be something else or in addition. Perhaps a blockage or breakage. No, I haven't taken the lower unit off yet. Your thoughts and info are greatly appreciated as my kid is screaming to get tubing ASAP and I am broke.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1986 90 HP Merc. No water pumpmingout discharge (pee) tube

First thing to do is locate the exit hole for the water on the right hand side, should be just under the cowling line. Gert a piece of wire that you can bend a small hook on to one end or something like that and shove it up there as far as it will go feeling if there is any blockage. The hook allows you to pull it out if there is anything there. It can take several tries to get it all worked out if you do find something. Mud Daubers love to get in there. If you locate the line, you can also follow it back to the exit from the engine and use compressed air to see if it is blocked or not. Barring that, you are down to changing the impeller and as much as you want to get going, it is probably the cheapest way to remove the risk.

Gerry

nyrick

Recruit

Thanks and I will try the wire with the hook but am a bit concerned it may scratch or puncture something. Will also try the air test. Does the water start out the discharge tube immediatly upon start up or is there a lag time. I dont want to wait as I dont want to cause damage. Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your engine does not have a thermostat so once the engine has reached idle and settled down, it should be pumping water, if not, you have a problem somewhere a blockage or the impeller needs to be changed.

If you are worried about the wire, use a piece of lawn trimmer plastic line.

You did say that the engine hasn't run for four years and you probably don't know how long it was before that, that the impeller was changed. The risk is yours, do as you wish.

Gerry

twebb

Seaman Apprentice

rick, i have the same motor and it takes 10 to 15 seconds after start to pee. had this motor for about a year now, always been like this.