boats

robbinsbryan

Cadet
well guys thought a boat would be a good thing to spend time with the wife.wrong after three shops and alot of money i guess its not meant to be.think ill just give it up and sell it.nobody can seem to help get it going so maybe its not in the cards for me to own one

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: boats

Yes, boating is complicated and having to rely on repair shops and marinas does not really solve the complexities. It is best to understand things yourself . . . and either you 'get it' and 'like it' . . . or 'don't get it' and 'don't like it'.

Kayaks (as much as we tend to complain about them) can be a better way to get on the water for some folks. Just stay away from the launch ramp and out of the channel (please).

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Going boating is about my most favorite thing to do. Don't give up just because you started with a bad experience. Get a different boat. Probably best to stay away from outboards and their idiosyncrocies. I know plenty of non technical people who boat. They own I/O's.

What makes outboards even worse is the fact that most boat shops are shysters.

robbinsbryan

Cadet

i have learned one thing through all this with this mercury engine.......never mess with another mercury engine again.ill go back to evinrudes

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

well guys thought a boat would be a good thing to spend time with the wife.wrong after three shops and alot of money i guess its not meant to be.think ill just give it up and sell it.nobody can seem to help get it going so maybe its not in the cards for me to own one

If i may ask, what did you buy.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah...lets just blame Mercury....Enjoy your evinrude,they never break down lol.
My V6 is 24 years old,did 5 years of comp racing and pulled skiers for 10 years,was completely submerged in salt water 15 years ago and it still runs great.

robbinsbryan

Cadet

i bought a 150 1986 model have been trying ever since to get it rite,comp checked and good,good spark,new stator trigger switch boxes carbs fuel pump fuel lines and still will not run at wot.half throttle at 2000 rpms is all i get out of it so dont look like ill even get to use it this year

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You might want to check the carb linkage for any trouble there. From the sound of things the motor might need a carb rebuild and cleaning job done.
Oldman570

robbinsbryan

Cadet

thnks oldman570. i have had that done also along with coil packs tested,pistons checked reed valves checked ect. even had all fuel lines on engine itself checked.boat guy says its still electrical cause it has a little miss at idol now which was not there before all the new parts.im beside myself.dont know where to go from here.didnt mean to sound down on mercs yesterday its just so damn frustrating.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

What prop are you running? Try venting the prop . If you can get it to spin up quick you might be able to get it into its RPM range

emoney

Commander

I've been in your "Frustrated Boater Shoes" before and I did NOT like the fit, lol. It's very frustrating when you're relying on other people, not even mentioning very expensive. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a Service Manual for your motor. Then, spend some time right here in iboats reading other threads from other frustrated owners and try and narrow down where the problem actually lies. It was an absolute eye-opener to me when I finally admitted that there was no way that some guy working at a boat dealership was that much smarter than me. Once I understood the basic engineering behind it, the terminology no longer sounded Greek. Then, once I logged into iboats and found out that it was full of people a lot like me, just more experienced in fixing these things, it was a God send. An example: just last month I bought a new-to-me boat because I'd sold the old one. The model I decided on I found locally at a small "mom-n-pop" dealer. Make the deal knowing it had a stuck steering cable. The dealer offered to fix it for $600.00. I bought the part for $100 and changed it myself having never done that before. Oh, I hit some frustrating moments, but a lot of guys around here helped me through it. While I was servicing it, I pulled the shift shaft out. Decided, "hey, maybe it's better to let a pro work on it", so I started calling around. 3 dealers each told me I'd need to buy a lower unit with the cheapest used one being $800.00. Well, two hours of "fishing around" and the shift shaft is back in place and the LU works like a charm. These are just two RECENT examples that had I not been involved with fixing it myself, I would've been both out a lot of money and very frustrated.

Boats are a lot like new babies: they don't have any other way to communicate what's wrong outside of "acting up". So, instead of throwing out the baby with the bath water, you have to gain intuition and knowledge to determine what this week's particular issue is. And more importantly than anything else, stop worrying about "when" it hits the water, because that naturally forces us to "rush" things and we all know how that usually plays out.

Plus, if you're working on it yourself, think of all the money you'll have saved to spend on other things like, beer!

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've been in your "Frustrated Boater Shoes" before and I did NOT like the fit, lol. It's very frustrating when you're relying on other people, not even mentioning very expensive. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a Service Manual for your motor. Then, spend some time right here in iboats reading other threads from other frustrated owners and try and narrow down where the problem actually lies. It was an absolute eye-opener to me when I finally admitted that there was no way that some guy working at a boat dealership was that much smarter than me. Once I understood the basic engineering behind it, the terminology no longer sounded Greek. Then, once I logged into iboats and found out that it was full of people a lot like me, just more experienced in fixing these things, it was a God send.
I agree with you but most people don't want to become marine technicians. They only want to go boating. Is that too much to ask?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree with you but most people don't want to become marine technicians. They only want to go boating. Is that too much to ask?
If your budget precludes using $100/hr+ labor then, Yes.

emoney

Commander

That's why they sell new boats! And don't get me wrong, I am NO WHERE NEAR becoming a marine technician. I already have one job and don't want another. But by having a feel for how this thing works, I get a better feel for when someone is leading me down the wrong path, which obviously has been done a few times to the OP.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your budget precludes using $100/hr+ labor then, Yes.
You know, if I could have got an honest and knowledgeable hour's labor for my $100 I would have paid happily. The problem is I kept getting ripped off every where I went. My choice was to either learn to work on outboards or learn to be an attorney.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You know, if I could have got an honest and knowledgeable hour's labor for my $100 I would have paid happily
I guess that's an entirely different problem, but I understand. They're out there though.

When friends ask me about boating I always say that unless you are a tinkerer and also somewhat anal, you probably need to consider something else. A big bank account helps, but it needs to be a passion. A way of life. A casual approach doesn't work well from maintenance, to operation to safety.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have learned one thing through all this with this mercury engine.......never mess with another mercury engine again.ill go back to evinrudes

A statement & a question.
I haven't been around alot of outboards, I have a Mercury 110 that I keep running, I worked on a buddies mercury 45 hp Circa 1968 (I think), & now I'm working on my buddies Johnson 35hp (1984) I have noticed that the Johnson shifts so smooth & the Mercurys slam into gear.

May I ask what you have against Mercury?

robbinsbryan

Cadet

welll i dont know what venting the prop means never heard of that but i do know that workin on it myself is going to be my best option.i do have a seloc repair book so i guess ill give it a go.may not be able to get it back together rite but it aint workin rite no way so what can it hurt.i dont know what kind of prop this boat has it is a stainless steel is all i know with a aftermarket reworked number on it not a stamped number.and thank for the encouragement guys.it runs like a new one just not past half throttle.dont know what else to look at as far as engine.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bryan,

I saw your other thread where an old school mechanic did a sync & link and it was fixed. What happened?