Never on water, rebuilt 1982 115 Johnson outboard

Mavilini

Cadet
I have a 1992 Bayliner that I bought from a friend 4 years ago. For 4 years the boat has been sitting. Before I got the boat my friend had the Mercury replaced with a 82 115 Johnson outboard. The motor was rebuilt and worked fine when it was installed. Finally my question, what should I do before trying to start it? Since the motor was never on the water after the rebuild do I still treat it as an engine that was on the water and sat four years?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Never on water, rebuilt 1982 115 Johnson outboard

Buy 2 aerosol cans of ''Fogging Oil'. Remove plugs ans spray in plenty. Rotate the plastic tube so you get oil even around, not just a puddle in the bottom.
Remove air-intake box, open throttle plates and fill up carb throats with fogging 'foam'.
Turn the engine over BY HAND, use a wrench/socket on the flywheel nut.
Check/change gear oil.
Lubricate all grease nipples and pull the steering cable and lubricate that as well.
Attach a 'muff' or better lower unit in a drum and crank the engine, preferably with the spark leads hooked to a spark tester. If no tester available, crank with safety lanyard OFF!.
Hook up fresh fuel (2%mix even if VRO), install the plugs and try to start.
If lucky, you may not need to rebuild your carbs.

Mavilini

Cadet

Thank you, I will try that and will get back to let the forum know how it went. ;)

Buy 2 aerosol cans of ''Fogging Oil'. Remove plugs ans spray in plenty. Rotate the plastic tube so you get oil even around, not just a puddle in the bottom.
Remove air-intake box, open throttle plates and fill up carb throats with fogging 'foam'.
Turn the engine over BY HAND, use a wrench/socket on the flywheel nut.
Check/change gear oil.
Lubricate all grease nipples and pull the steering cable and lubricate that as well.
Attach a 'muff' or better lower unit in a drum and crank the engine, preferably with the spark leads hooked to a spark tester. If no tester available, crank with safety lanyard OFF!.
Hook up fresh fuel (2%mix even if VRO), install the plugs and try to start.
If lucky, you may not need to rebuild your carbs.

Good answer! Not sure about the 2% premix though. There should already be plenty of lube in those cylinders from the fogging and decarbonizing. Gear oil should be fine as well but by changing it you know it's fresh.

Haffiman

Commander

Good answer! Not sure about the 2% premix though. There should already be plenty of lube in those cylinders from the fogging and decarbonizing. Gear oil should be fine as well but by changing it you know it's fresh.
If no VRO, 2% premix is what is needed, if VRO, run 2% until sure the VRO pumps oil.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You did not mention whether the engine had been run through the normal break-in procedure for a new powerhead. Sounds like the freshly-overhauled engine may have been started, but not run much. Break-in procedures for that engine involves double oiling for a period of time as well as rpm limits during the first hours of operation. See your owner's manual or factory service manual.

Mavilini

Cadet

What is the break in procedure, and double the oil mixture is that a 25:1 since the motor takes 50:1?