AQ280 water in drive oil

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello guys,
I was out at the lake this weekend and when I parked in a slip at the restaurant, I noticed a small oil slick coming from the back of the boat. We had dinner and then cruised back to the marina. When I pulled the boat out, the drain plug screw was finger tight. (Dunno how it didn't fall out!) It must have come loose and allowed water into the drive. I have drained the oil and am wondering the best method to be sure all the water out. I currently have the fill screw and drain plug removed to let the drive drain out the milky oil.
I believe I caught the leak before any damage was done to the drive. It Functioned just fine,no odd noises, and the drive was cool to the touch when I got back to the marina. (I did cruise back which probably wasn't smart)

How can I be sure to get all the water out?

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: AQ280 water in drive oil

I would fill with oil run your prop and drain again.
Most likely there are only small traces of water in OD after you completely drain first time.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^^ +1
Took several oil change cycles to clean mine out. Ran for a couple of hours each time out to get it warmed up and drained when I got home. Was fine after two cycles.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys!
A small dab of loctite will be going on the drain plug this time. :)