My Terry 5.2M

terry 5.2m

Cadet
I just thought I would share pics of my new toy.

1978 Terry 5.2M ABF w/ 1977 Johnson 115Hp and 1977 SMP Low Boy Trailer.

(2) live wells, front/mid/rear tilt trim controls, Minkota 75lb thrist trolling motor, sonar depth finder from the factory, factory tach..amp...tilt/trim...volt gauges...working hr meter with 350hrs, Aluminum gas tank, Trolling motor batt charger, deep cycle.

When I got the boat it idled rough to the point of dying.

Drained bad gas, new plugs, lower unit oil change, engine tune up decarbonizer (this worked great), compression check (112, 115, 115, 119), cleaned fuel filter screen, verified pump operating w/ very good mist out of exhaust, verified the hi temp horn worked (Thanks Reeves).

Idle has greatly improved but still not where it needs to be. Runs great at WOT and gets up on plane nice.

Next step:

1. After my compression check I noticed the #4 coil has a crack in it so I will replace all the coils/wires. I cannot figure which coils on this web site are for my Johnson :). Can some one help me so I can order?
2. If idle still not up to par after replacing the coils then it's time to look at the carbs. Already have rebuild kit.
3. Power pack gasket needs replaced. Probably just replace the whole unit...$40 per this website.
4. Verify timing and adjust low speed idel if required.

Cheers
Scott

Attachments

• terry2.JPG
    terry2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 3
  • terry1.JPG
    terry1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 3
  • terry5.JPG
    terry5.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
  • terry4.JPG
    terry4.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 3

Remedy911

Cadet
Re: My Terry 5.2M

Hey Scott, Looks sweet !! Did you buy it in that condition or did you work on it ?
I recently (6 months ago) picked one up from a neighbor on our fresh water lake. It had been sitting in his backyard for 5+ years with obvious signs that he wasnt using it. Through out the years, I asked him several times if he wanted to sell it. i guess i bugged him so much, he finally said " agghhh, just take it ! " My teenage boys and I were freaking out. I knew it needed work, but for free?? it was a no brainer. He said he hadnt run it in a few years. I took it to my local Johnson mechanic/neighbor and he gave me the bad news/good news. With a new battery, Motor fired right up with good compression on all four, stayed cool, idled like a charm. Now the bad news, which to me wasnt so bad. Steering was frozen and trim was bad ($400 parts and labor) The rest was cosmetic stuff, carpet/seats needed replacing, and paint was faded. As soon as we got it back, we put it in the lake and had the 85hp Johnson screaming up and down the lake. It gets on plane in a hurry and handles amazing !! I can only imagine what your 140 does.
I looked at your pics and mine looks very similiar, except for the faded blue and rusty trailer. Also, my fwd deck doesnt go as far back as yours does. It looks like yours goes all the way up to your console. Mine stops further up and I actually have a small seat in front of my console. I wonder if that was an option back then or if someone along the way made that modification. I will try to send pics of my project Terry as soon as i figure out how.

terry 5.2m

Cadet
Re: My Terry 5.2M

Thanks and congrats on your purchase.

I actually have a 115Hp Johnson but it does pretty good, about 45mph. I am still working out some kinks but the pics I posted were as I purchased it.

My bow came stock like yours, with a seat in front of the drivers console, but the guy I bought it off of extended the trolling deck and removed the seat.

So far I am happy with the boat. It is stable due to the TriHull design but it still gets up on plane and goes fast enough to cause a smirk.

Terry bass boats are very rare but from what I read about them they were stoutly designed and used top of line line fasteners/accessories from the time period.

What I like best about the boat is the ability to tuck stuff up under neath the sides.

look forward to seeing your pics