1968 Evinrude 6 hp. drive shaft question

Rick.

Captain
Hello All. I was putting a new impeller in this < new to me< motor last week. I noticed a hole nearer the top of the drive shaft and wondered why it was there. Today I looked at a parts break down which shows a pin, washer, spring, seal and all above the hole in the drive shaft. So, the pin was not there and I'm wondering if the other parts would have stayed up there in the absence of the pin or am i right to assume the other parts are probably missing as well? Or, wouldn't it be nice, if there was a re-design and the pin was omitted altogether. Please help me if you can. I have the manual and it does say to turn the prop until the pin is aligned with the slot in the exhaust housing. Like I said, the shaft came right our of the top for me but no pin was in place. Thanks for your help. Rick.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1968 Evinrude 6 hp. drive shaft question

i think all parts should be there if powerhead wasnt removed from midsection.its only one way to take out all this parts.

pin in driveshaft is pushing up the spring, and this spring force up old type of seal.
if you are not sure how it works you caan always tear down the powerhead from midsection

Rick.

Captain

I'd rather not if I don't need to. So if I just replace the pin it will put things under the proper tension and location? I've not had a motor with the pin before. Rick.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Rick, you definitely need that pin. Be sure to order the right one for the motor. It's holding pressure on a very important lower crank seal. Be patient when re-installing.

Rick.

Captain

Will get one back in there. The rest of the parts should be intact though? As long as no one removed them via the power head? Picked this motor up for a song but maybe it's going to make me dance. I was hoping it wasn't needed as parts seem to take forever to get around here. Thanks so much. Rick.

Rick.

Captain

Called my parts guy and he says I have to buy 5 min. at 5 bucks each. Would anyone know the length of this pin? I'm sure I could use a roll pin if I had the length. I know this is a long shot. Rick.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I hate it when they tell you stuff like that, he doesn't have them and don't want to stock them. If you buy them on-line the freight will kill you.
I don't have one apart to measure, but I think the pin sticks out of each side of the drive shaft about 1/4 inch.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I just bought one at the dealer yesterday, was like a coule bucks?

As stated, very important, needs to be there, the seal should still be intact unless motor was stripped down to remove it.

THe first time I dropped the gearcase on one of those 6hps I stripped the pin, not knowing to rotate the driveshaft until the pin aligns with the slot. I assumed the splines were seizedand forced the bugger down,shearing the pin. Livve and learn right.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

HighTrim, have you installed that pin, could you measure it for Rick?

Rick.

Captain

HighTrim, have you installed that pin, could you measure it for Rick?
That sure would be nice. But , he might have installed it already? Rick.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

It does stick out of each side of the driveshaft about a quarter of an inch. If you use a rollpin (which is what it is) from another source, make sure it is stainless.

Do not omit this pin - as stated, it holds a seal assembly in place and failure to have those parts in place will result in water intrusion into the powerhead. Left long enough, the motor will eventually freeze.

The seal assembly consists of several parts and they will remain in a "cup" in the top of the midsection housing, unless removed. The only way to remove them, is to pull the powerhead. Check for signs of the powerhead having been removed (broken paint, obviously replace gasket, etc.). If you have any doubts as to whether the seal assembly is still there, pull the powerhead to check and replace, as needed.

Rick.

Captain

Good to know I'm not the only one trowing away good parts. I did write the size of the drive pin in my manual so I will have a look tomorrow and let you know the size. Rick.

Rick.

Captain

What I wrote in the book was 1/8 X 11/16ths. Hope that helps. Rick.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

If you have any lingering doubts about the integrity of your seal, pull the powerhead off and check it. That seal is a critical one for these motors. Seal failure can let water in and/or lean out the lower cyclinder, both of which will wreck that cylinder over time.

I am rebuilding a 72 6 HP. Previous owner ran it as a sailboat kicker in salt water. I found the spring that pushes up on the seal was rusted in half. My lower piston was scuffed in three places and one of the rings was welded into the groove. Luckily it did not did not damage the cylinder walls.

Good luck with your motor.