What is the tolerance of the shift rod height?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
The magic number is 7 13/64". I switched to mm to measure, and I am .5mm short (0.019685 in).

Is there a tolerance for the shift rod, or do I need to brake my lower gear case open to adjust for this .5mm. It seems pretty minimal.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the tolerance of the shift rod height?

Just get it as close as you can. Taking the lower apart wont help anything.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes but it is the only way to adjust the shift rod.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what I am asking is if .5mm is enough to worry about... inducing me to remove the lower gearcase in order to ADJUST the shift rod.

I wonder how much each turn of the shift rod head will extend it, may just be a waste of my time.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya know, I totally missed what you are asking. The shaft has a 5/16-24 thread. so every turn is .042". So if you are measuring correctly, you wont get it any closer.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya know, I totally missed what you are asking. The shaft has a 5/16-24 thread. so every turn is .042". So if you are measuring correctly, you wont get it any closer.

That's EXACTLY what I was trying to figure out. Thanks for saving me a few hours!

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where did you measure from? I measured from the bast of where the shifter cover goes. NOT the base of the bottom. Mine is dead on 7 13/64 from the cover lip. Am I wrong?

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I took mine off I counted how many full turns to all the way tight on the rod. When I put it back together I screwed it all the way in, then counted back how many turns. But wondering now, (though I don't know how it could have) been off. If I measure from the bottom of the housing (like below the lip that holds the cover plate, I'm almost 8 inches.