Shift Cable Lockwire

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1985 Sea Ray SRV 300 Twin 5.7L Mercruisers with Alpha 1 outdrives.<br /><br />Question 1 - I'm replacing the shift cable and need to replace the lock wire on the shift slide assembly. Does anybody know the thickness of the wire and where to buy it?<br /><br />Question 2 - Which direction do you turn the cable nut to remove the cable from aft of the bellhousing? The reason why I ask is because I've read the old style cable was mounted forward of the bellhousing so the thread would be right hand looking forward of the bellhousing looking aft. To convert to the new style cable you have to run a tap through form the forward end. This would make the thread left hand, if you were aft of the bellhousing looking forward. Confused yet? I'm having a hard time wording this right. My cable tool started to round off the nut edges, so I want to make sure I turn it the right way.<br /><br />Thank you in advance....

tommays

Admiral
Re: Shift Cable Lockwire

The lockwire should be with the cable kit<br /><br />The thread will still be RIGHT HAND :) <br /><br />I made my tool from a high quality 6 point socket and welded on a 3/4 nut<br /><br /> mine was 11 years in saltwater and it took some elbow to get it moveing :) <br /><br />If you have a brand X socket it may be a problem or if could have to much corrosion it could require drilling :eek: <br /><br />tommays

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What Tom said, & I would spray some Aerokroil on it & let it soak in a bit...<br />As far as the wire, not sure of the gauge, but as long as it will fit through the set screw it wiil work.<br />Make sure it is made of stainless ;) ....JK

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update...<br /><br />I soaked the cable fitting however; I still managed to round off the hex nut and was unable to remove the cable assembly from the bell housing. I ended up drilling out the remains of the hex nut and carefully reamed out the threaded section by drilling, but not too much that I would cut the treads of the bell housing. I tried to run the tap (1/4 x 18 thread NPSF Pipe tap with straight threads) and that turned out to be a choir. As a last resort, I used a Craftsman screw extractor. Tapped it in with a hammer and backed it out using a 3/8 drive ratchet with extension. The extractor bit grabbed hold and I was able to remove the remains of the cable (counter clockwise). Chased the bell housing threads with the pipe tap - good as new.<br />Thank you everybody.....

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tommays,<br />Could you explain how you made the wrench that's needed for this (or maybe send a picture)? I just spent $38 to buy one but before I take it out of the pastic (and it not returnable) I'm intersted if there is a cheeper alternative.<br />Any other advice on how to do this is appreciated. Thanks

tommays

Admiral

I used a 3/8 drive 9/16 6 point deep craftsman socket and welded a 3/4 nut to the drive end<br /><br />You have to stick with the 3/8 drive as the space is tight wear you have to fit the tool to remove the cable<br /><br />If you cant weld for free it will be hard to save money a good socket is not cheep + the welding<br /><br />tommays

Trent

Captain

Saftey wire size is .032 stainless steel. Stop by your local airport. One of the aircraft mechanics will most likely give you some. If you cant find some. Send me your e-mail address and I can send you a little.

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Trent.<br /><br />A friend of mine who works on torpedo tubes for the navy had some lying around in his tool bag.<br /><br />I appreciate the offer and the wire size. I will make a note in my manual for the next time.