possiblility of starting motor w/o sterndrive

silverga01

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />I'm working on my boat, it's a '73 Century with a 3.0 Mercruiser inboard/outboard. Right now the lower housing and the gear housing are off the boat being looked over. I'm wanting to get the engine started though. Is there a way to feed water into the bell housing on the back to feed cooling water to the motor? Like sticking a hose on low pressure into one of the openings in there? Any ideas? I don't want to run it long, but would like to make sure it still fires and idles after the work.<br /><br />Thanks.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: possiblility of starting motor w/o sterndrive

Yup! What you said.....<br />The fire hose looking tip will work just fine when put into the opening just port or center with the half dollar sized opening....<br />Make sure you have a way to keep it in though or you will fry the rubber that is between the exhaust manifold & the lower....JK

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've done this a few times myself. I had an old piece of hose that I was able to cut the end off of. It fit perfectly into the bell housing. As Haut said, just make sure it doesnt fall out of there...

silverga01

Cadet

Thank you both very much. I had thought you could do that, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wacko.<br /><br />It indeed worked, the engine warmed up a bit high at first, but I wiggled my hose end in tighter and it dropped down to a nice steady temp. Engine was running nicely, minus some carb problems.<br /><br />Thanks for the great help!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There is a piece that I bought years ago that goes over a belhousing stud and has a female garden hose fitting on it.With an o/d nylon lock nut tightened down it holds the water fitting firmly to the inlet on the belhousing when the drive is not on.Charlie

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

washing machine hose cut in half works nicely too.