how to protect intakes from kelp/plastic bags!!??

wayne nicol

Cadet
somebody has to have a good idea that will protect the water intakes from kelp leaves and or plastic bags.
we have tons of kelp here- and it is a real problem.
i wonder if some kinda circular cage ( maybe aboutb 8" in diameter and about 3" deep)built around the intake section of the leg would help- it would be hard to find a piece of kelp large enough that would shut that off-on both sides!
any ideas or experiences
wayne

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to protect intakes from kelp/plastic bags!!??

For engines that doesn't have overheat audible alarms, just turn your head periodically to see engine peeing and don't go wot on kelpy seas as you could burn down your impeller in less than 30 seconds cruising at that high rev. Tohatsu's have a third water intake at lower anticav plate, ideal for messing around on polluted waters, although not found in all larger models.

A large piece of kelp or even a banana peel could burn your impeller, including seeing engine smoking heavily worst than an indian because of extreme overheat and prior shutting down forever :D Have fried 3 impellers and warped 2 cylinder heads woting on kelpy seas. "Thumbs Down" Which engine do you have ?

You could install a temp sensor with ext clock or a thermistor at head that opens and shuts engine down when heat building up passes engine's max working temp.

Happy Boating

coolguy147

Commander

Install a temp gauge with alarm. Best thing. In addition, a water pressure gauge would be just as good.

wayne nicol

Cadet

i am looking at one of those snap disc thermostats connected to a buzzer- how would one install a water pressure gauge
i have a 2 stroke, 1987 johnson 110 hp v4
i dont ever run wot, just get it outa the hole then cut her back until i am just on the step and cruise there
thanks
wayne