Help with carb adjustment wot

Lupus71

Seaman
I have a 65 9.5 Johnson that will not rev all the way up at wot, ou can hear it kind of pop and go alittle faster then slow up some then speed up againits only a very small amount though. It has new coils, new wire, plugs, points, and they are @.02 getting, plenty of fire. Also the motor will rev higher if I turn the low speed(rich lean knob) needle to only a 1/4 turn from seated. If I go a full turn or 1.5 it will idle good but top end suffers. I have adjusted and readjusted the points checked everything I can think of the carb has been rebuilt new float ,needle, seals, gaskets. Also the primer bulb is not staying tight but it will run allday like that and it doesnt help to pump it while going, doesn't run better with good off either. Please help I'm sick of this motor!

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help with carb adjustment wot

Did you remove and clean the jet under the float bowl drain screw? Lots of people (myself included) miss this one.

Lupus71

Seaman

I tried to but can't get it out. The screwdrivers I have aren't wide enough but I shined a light through it and it looks clean.

Lupus71

Seaman

I'm wondering if the float isn't set right. What I did was turn the cab upside down and barely bent it just like the original one and it measures the same on both ends of the float. I didn't use the clip that came with it that keeps the needle from sticking because the motor wouldn't run right with it....???

adam98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im not sure but most low speed adj needles are low speed fuel and 1/4 turn out is leaner then 1.5 turn out.... So sounds like u may be rich. After a miniute of wot check the plugs for color. Wet or dry and burned looking? Use Drain Bolt on carb to be sure fuel is in bowl and carbs are cleaned and all holes flow well to where they should