1986 15 hp overheating

jbabcock

Seaman
Hi i have a15 hp 1986 evenrude it was over heating i just replaced the head gasket and water pump housing slip plate and impellor i dont think its overheating anymore i ran it with both muffs and barrel noticed the barrel after about 2 hrs of running it was at a slow trickle but this might have just been from the barrel becoming hot as the water did heat right up as well i noticed more water comming out the exaust and was just wondering if that is normal and should it have water comming from both the exaust and the pee hole?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 15 hp overheating

Yes, you should have water coming out of both places. The "pee hole" should have a solid stream of water coming out. Maybe yours is restricted, try running a piece weed wacker string up the tube and see if it is plugged up.

Rick.

Captain

Would also add to make certain the water level is well above the pump height. Best of luck. Rick.

jbabcock

Seaman

ya i think thats what the issue was Rick that and the water became as hot as the engine after barrel running for 3 hrs so im sure when shes on the lake she will run great i shut it off and waited 5 min fired back up and had a good strong stream again and im assuming when the motor is moving in the water like on a baot its also having fresh water forced into the inlet ports im sure running it on a baot is far better then in a barrel.