NISSAN 1986 NS5B Timing questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice
I need to get ready to set up for reviewing the motor's timing. So the ten million dollar questions are!
1. What type of timing light do I need? and where do I tap off of to make it work?
2. What should I expect to see for a NS5B 1986 ? Sorry for not having my manual yet.. It's on the way.

Thanks for your help and support! StarGazerI :)

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: NISSAN 1986 NS5B Timing questions!!

The engine is always in time. Nothing for you to adjust.

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info there! What would make the timing go off though..if it did I mean?

pvanv

Admiral

The advance curve is designed into the CD module. So, if the CD is bad, you could be off time. The 5B is, as Elvin would say "stone hammer technology". Basically bulletproof, older technology, and will survive all sorts of abuse.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info there! What would make the timing go off though..if it did I mean?

Apart from electronics issues, in the event the screw that secures pulser coil to base flies off base. By the way, if small screw head shows sign of corrosion, place a new one, grease well before screwing to base. If small head is already extremely corroded and seized will have hard time removing with small screwdriver.

Happy Boating

StarGazerI

Seaman Apprentice

Very good point there Sea Rider... Thanks. Yes both screws are rusted. is that a ground? or is that the mount only? On the lube.. What Kind you recommend? Regards StarGazerI :eek:

Last edited:
1986 55b Nissan . Why is it so hard to get a straight answer on timing. No I can't find a manual and no ! factory ignition is not rock solid. I replaced mine with a ignite r ll pick up and coil's now I need to time and adj. linkage . Any help would be welcome. I guess Nissan dose not think there engine's should last as long as Merc. or Johnson ! I can get info and parts for them that are 30 yr's older

pvanv

Admiral
Point of etiquette: You are posting to a 3-year-old thread about a completely different motor with completely different symptoms, Better to create a new post.

Nissan Marine is no longer in the outboard business, so there is limited support... Since Tohatsu actually made the motors, they may be able to help somewhat. I can tell you that the 55B was only made briefly, and shares some parts with the old 50. If you find an olde tyme dealer with the olde paper parts catalog, and the olde service manual, that will have your specs and procedures. If you did not disturb the link and sync, it's probably still OK. If you did tinker with those, you are looking for a very olde service manual... the 55B shares almost nothing with the more modern 2-strokes. You can call Tohatsu America at 214-420-6440, and they may have some archived manuals for it.

The water pump impeller is available, but wp kits were discontinued long ago. In salt water, a motor that age would typically be a heap of corrosion. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chris_1972

Recruit
I have a ns5b and I understand that the timing can not be adjusted. My question is if I remove the flywheel to rebuild the powerhead, does it have to be reinstalled a certain way in order for the timing to be correct?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Just assemble back exactly same as was disassembled...LOL!!

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Still being hijacked.

So.........................Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.