86 Mercruiser 170hp 470 4 cylinder

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone have a couple questions?

1. When i pulled my plugs they smelled like the motor was runing rich ? The carb was just rebuilt.
2. How to make sure it is timed right ?
3. I want to make sure my shift cable is adjusted right. Prop spins freely in neutral left to right. But when i shift it sound like its slaming in gear. All the gears look good teeth wise and not alot of metal shavings on the magnut on the fill plug on the outdrive. There alittle but not much. Is that normal to have some ?
4. whats the recomended rpm at idle and rpm at runing speed ?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: 86 Mercruiser 170hp 470 4 cylinder

Wow... lots of good questions.... I recommend you go to the "adults only" sticky at the top of this (mercruiser I/O) forum, look in there for "mercruiser information", there you will find the link to the manual for your motor that will give you all the answers!!! Good luck!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Hey everyone have a couple questions?

1. When i pulled my plugs they smelled like the motor was runing rich ? The carb was just rebuilt.
2. How to make sure it is timed right ?
3. I want to make sure my shift cable is adjusted right. Prop spins freely in neutral left to right. But when i shift it sound like its slaming in gear. All the gears look good teeth wise and not alot of metal shavings on the magnut on the fill plug on the outdrive. There alittle but not much. Is that normal to have some ?
4. whats the recomended rpm at idle and rpm at runing speed ?

Are the plugs black?
Time it @ 4 degrees BTDC with a timing light and a dwell meter (28 to 34 degrees)
probably idle RPM too high
650-700 RPM

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

plugs are black all four and brand new. not even a month old

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

You'll find a timing mark on the balance pulley, paint the line white to make it easier to see, hook up a timing light. Should be 4deg BTDC at idle. The timing indication marks are on the timing chain cover, you'll see 'em.

Not much you can do it if its running rich, other than cleaning/rebuilding the carb. It may be loading up at idle which could be adjusted at the choke, and at the low speed jet. But if it ran well before, its more likely a symptom of a fouled carb instead.

Good luck.