Removing Volvo AQ130 from Volvo 270 Transom shield

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I have discovered that my transom is rotten in my boat, so need to remove the engines and drives in order to replace the plywood in the transom.

This is the first time I will have removed an engine from an outdrive boat, so its all new to me.

I have a couple of questions:

1. The 6 bolts to remove from the sterndrive sheild are very rusty and I think its going to be a job to remove them all with a socket. If I was to grind the heads off would I have sufficient thread protruding afterwards to remove them once the engine is out? I would be replacing the bolts anyway due to the condition of them.

2. I have heard there are some seals that must be replaced after removing the engine installation. What & where are these seals?

Any tips are mucho appreciated! :)

Regards,
Louis

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Removing Volvo AQ130 from Volvo 270 Transom shield

1) If you're talking about the bolts that go thru the transon, go ahead and cut those off if you want. You'll want to replace them anyway. If you're talking about the bolts on the clamping ring, you can cut the heads off if you want to. Plenty of stud left over.

2) You'll probably need to replace the rope gasket between the transom and shield. There are also two donut shaped rubber gaskets on either side of the transon shield. Inspect those carefully and replace them if they are deformed or compressed.

The wiring harness has a large connector so you don't need to disconnect every single connection on the engine.

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removing Volvo AQ130 from Volvo 270 Transom shield

Thanks for the reply :)

I am going to replace the transom bolts for sure as they are is a right mess. Its the bolts on the clamping ring that I was unsure about. As there is plenty of stud left I will cut the heads off I think as they are in a mess too.

I shall inspect those two donut shaped gaskets then, presumably one is behind the clamping ring then?

I have re wired my engines so unfortuently I no longer have the connector, but its not a problem :)