76 15hp evinrude wobbles a lot

Joshua2

Cadet
The motor is on my boat and its clamped tight to the boat but I can put my hand on top of it and shake it around is there a way to tighten this thing up because really would hate for this thing to fall off when in the water!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 76 15hp evinrude wobbles a lot

Are your lower lateral mounts original and possible loose?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The motor is on rubber mounts and will shake some after several years of use. It might be time to replace them as some take quite abuse. They will be located on the lower transom steering tube and on the motor under the carb were the motor mounts to the steering bracket.
Oldman570

Joshua2

Cadet

Im not sure the correct terms but the forked thing goes in the motor there is a rubber bushing or rubber something is that what ur talking about ... Look likes a job to change that out

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you look at the exploded diagram at this url

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1976&hp=15&model=15655A&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Exhaust+Housing

The parts that control the motor "shake" are the rubber mounts- #4, 5(need 2), 41, and 82. Any or
all of them could be contributing to your problem. To replace them you need to remove the gearcase,
then take the powerhead off the midsection casting and take apart the parts that hold these rubber
mounts in place, and replace them. If they're all bad (I just picked up an '88 where they are all bad),
it's $210 for the parts. I've got a "parts motor" I'm going to get them off. Or you could look on E-Bay

You should also read up on this in "LeeRoy's Ramblings"- a wealth of information about these
engines.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/#12_OB

He explains the teardown and replacement of these mounts. He also shows a
cheap repair to the "5" parts, which can cost $60-80 each. For the details of that, look
at the article on Powerhead/Midsection repairs, about 2/3 of the way through the article.