Best Battery choice. Noob needs advise

wackostu

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All. I have a 1965 Steury 15 ft runabout. She has a RDSL26S Johnson 40hp Motor. The boat needs a battery. What kind/type do I need? It would be just for starting the engine.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best Battery choice. Noob needs advise

If you have no lights, radio you'll be using with the motor off, just a cranking amp battery would be fine. You don't need a deep cycle for just cranking amps to start your motor. I went with a deep cycle as we monitor the the marine radio, listen to the stereo, cabin lights and anchor light when not running the motor. But even that is an overkill. Always better to error on the safe side.. kind of hard to get a jump start on the water ways.

I'm not sure how many cranking amps it takes to wheel over a 40HP motor though.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A group 27 combination deepcycle and starting is a good place to start.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your just starting your 40 and it is in good tune a group 24 is plenty.
No need for anything special.Deka makes a good battery.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most any starting battery will start that engine. A marine/deep cycle dual purpose will work fine also. I'll guess that your motor's charging system is unregulated so you should avoid sealed or "maintenance free" batteries.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, group 24 is fine. Get a "marine" starting battery. They are supposed to have more support for the plates and stuff to handle more severe vibrations and stuff than a car battery.