Steering torque, and boat lean

raberd14

Recruit
Hi everybody, I just got a boat and took it out for the first time today. Everything works good except on plane the thing pulls hard to the right, i gotta compensate by turning the wheel left which is nearly impossible, then it leans down on the port side fairly sharp. I was with my grandpa and when he was in the passenger seat it would lean hard to the port side if I was by myself or he sat on the bow it would ride level but there was still a lot of steering torque. Curious about whats going on. It has trim tabs but not the adjustable style there just fixed. It gets up on plane real quick and scoots pretty darn good its just hard to hang on to. The boat is a 16' welded alum. Fisher with a 75 horse Merc. Force outboard. does the little fin/skeg above the prop need adjusted? Or is it a more serious issue? Am I not trimming the motor up or down enough? I do know the guy that owned the boat before me was a BIG dude. Would he have had the little skeg over-adjusted to compensate for his weight? Input is appreciated, thank you ahead of time.

Re: Steering torque, and boat lean

Welcome. You might want to check the thread just below this one called "severe torque steer to port". It may answer your question.