Park/Tail lights no longer working on road king trailer with brakes

nastyquedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
About two months ago i put new LED lights on the trailer. Last weekend I hooked the 5 flat plug from the trailer the round adapter on my truck and it flickered then the park/ tail lights went out. Pulled the flat plug off and noticed there was no rubber between the male park light plug and the female ground plug coming from the trailer. I also noticed a little smoke and the wires got hot. So I am assuming they touched. So I replaced the plug on the trailer and purchased a new round adapter for the truck and the park lights still dont work. The brake and signal lights work on the trailer. Any ideas?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Park/Tail lights no longer working on road king trailer with brakes

About two months ago i put new LED lights on the trailer. Last weekend I hooked the 5 flat plug from the trailer the round adapter on my truck and it flickered then the park/ tail lights went out. Pulled the flat plug off and noticed there was no rubber between the male park light plug and the female ground plug coming from the trailer. I also noticed a little smoke and the wires got hot. So I am assuming they touched. So I replaced the plug on the trailer and purchased a new round adapter for the truck and the park lights still dont work. The brake and signal lights work on the trailer. Any ideas?

Recheck your wiring and ensure it is correct...... Do the lights on the tow vehicle work? A short on the plug should have popped the fuse on the truck's fuse panel to protect the wiring.

nastyquedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This incident originally occured when i was driving my tundra and the park lights on the tundra never went out. When i took the same trailer and hooked it up to my 93 chevy it blew the fuse twice. I hooked the green/brown wires to a direct 12 volt source and after plugging it up nothing lite up but the wires got extremely hot. Did the same approach with the yellow/brown wire and everything worked fine.

cribber

Lieutenant

The only reason wires get hot is too much current... means you've still got a short to deal with on the trailer. Here is a link I use anytime I need to do any work on a trailer lighting setup. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your park lights on the Tundra never went out then you have a separate fuse for the trailer lights. As far as the green/brown wire getting hot,,,, that would indicate a short in that circuit. Find the short and replace the fuse and you should be good to go. Good Luck